How to route audio

I just bought a cheap small mixer (Behringer Xenyx 1202), but even after reading manuals I still don’t get a lot about routing the audio.

The mixer has a main out, fx-send (aux), control room out and two track output.

It has 4 line/XRL and 4 stereo in. I want to be able to play everything over my monitors (off course), but I also want to be able to sample stuff in my Digitakt, and record in a DAW by using the DT as an interface. All without having to reroute everything over and over again.

So how do I route this? I am putting the audio out of the DT in the mixer, just as my other gear (only guitar, bass and Mic for now). The main out of the mixer will go to the monitors.

But how do I route the mixer back to the DT to sample and record? Do I need the control room out (and use the button FX send to cntr room, or do I use the 2-track out?

Thanks a lot.

Personally I’d use the aux send for this, then you can root anything running into the mixer back into the digitakt. So you want your aux out wired to the input of the DT. Keep everything else the same as you’ve stated.

1 Like

Is that the FX send in this case? Because that one is mono

Alternatively, you could just run the main outs from your mixer into the DT’s inputs, turn monitoring on in the DT, and then connect the DT’s outs to the monitors. The recent update makes the DT a really powerful two channel mixer. The master compressor can be really good to glue everything together.

Thanks. Did not know that was possible. Still learning something new every day.

Thinking about it I think this will be the best solution. Otherwise when I record sound from the mixer back in, I will also get the sound of the DT back.

Or will a mono cable from FX send in one of the inputs also be enough, since the DT cant sample in stereo anyways?

And with sampling I probably mean only guitar or synths. Because when I sample music, I will use my laptop and USB.

Yeah that’d be the FX send rather. I thought the DT only sampled in mono anyhow… Not sure as I’ve got the DN not the DT.

The DT sums the L/R to mono for sampling, but the new mixing functionality (it came out with the relatively recent firmware super-update Elektron issued) lets you monitor the inputs in stereo.

It becomes super flexible: without changing your cables, you can then sample anything you want from your mixer into the DT, or just monitor your mix through the DT (additionally, you can apply both the DT’s reverb and delay to the input signals).

Plus you can easily connect to your DAW and use the DT as your soundcard…send your inputs to a stereo channel, and then capture your DT however you like, just the outputs, isolated DT tracks via Overbridge, etc.

1 Like

Thanks. I was wondering how I was going to filter the DT sound out of the mixer. But if you use the DT as a soundcard you don’t need to plug it in the mixer offcourse. So I guess it will be gear into mixer. Main out mixer to DT. DT out to monitors/headphone

1 Like