How to warm-up the sound of the MD?

Hey there,

I think this has been discussed many times in different ways.

With all do respect, I think the output sound quality of the MD is a little bit canny. In this perspective, the OT is a better drum-machine than the MD.
Anyway I love my MD but I am looking for a good way to warm-up the sound. I have done routing through the A4, which does it give an analog vibe.

However, there are many ways and maybe you can share your method? (which compressor, effect unit do you use). I am willing to spend some cash to improve the output. Thinking about OTO biscuit.

Regards,

NOx

Donā€™t own an MD, but check out DaCaVaā€™s latest track on the Our Music-subforum, his MD beats sounded very nice to my ears.

Hereā€™s a quote from him:

Regarding the drums, they are from the machinedrum. This kit is predominantly a layered kit using Goldbaby Tape 808 wave samples. Since the machinedrum makes all sample 12 bit, they get a little crunchy. The layered kit template is from one of Moritzā€™s posts, quite brilliant actuallyā€¦ it really fattens up the sound of the machinedrum, itā€™s a joy to program (leads to much improvisation). As far as processing the signal, thereā€™s nothing done outside the box. I use a little reverb on the SD, CP and I use the internal compressor as sort of a limiter. I also use just a touch -6DB of a low cut, as the kicks tend to over-dominate the mix.

Hello noxical, if the Elektron users site is still up and running, do a search on ā€œ909 inspired templateā€ from Moritz. Layering some select sounds really does add a touch of warmth and fullness to the MDUW sound palette. When I listen to my earlier tracks vs. the later ones, thereā€™s a definite change in sound. If you donā€™t have any experience layering, itā€™ll take a bit of trial and error. I found for me the key to layering is to adjust the pitch settings until the sounds complement eachother well, than play with the BRR and filters to make things sit together. Itā€™ll take some effort as youā€™ll get phase cancellations, sort of chorusing type sounds (but not in a good way).

The link below is a track using one of the layered kits. The entire song is machinedrum only, sort of has a 90ā€™s plastikman soundā€¦ probably from the rim rollsā€¦ and I do love me some rim rolls.

***note SC really #ucked the sound quality on this one. This was before I knew to upload stuff at 128 kbps as theyā€™ll compress an already compressed sound if you donā€™t.

https://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci/tamc-august-minimal-mduw-jam

I own a Machinedrum for a few years and feel where youā€™re coming from with this.

I feel itā€™s really about hitting the sweet spot with the filters + eg (boost the drums for example at around eg 30 and use maybe an amount of 14 SRR.
Adding some decay and release to the drum/bass sound + layering should help too.

Ofcourse thereā€™s the master FX Equalizer too, which i rarely even use but that could help you out as well.

For external FX i route a channel to a Boss metal zone 2 distortion pedal, which has itā€™s own eq as well. Distortion might give a bit of nice crunch or sort of vinyl type warmth as well (though it gets out of hand quickly :slight_smile: )

Hi,

Thanks for thisā€¦this sure looks like a piece of the puzzle into a warm season of MD fun.

I have read the thread on the ā€œMoritzā€™s templateā€ with great interest. Looks like a nice algorithm and I am definitely going to try this. Also nice to understand the ā€˜fuzzā€™ about the 909 a bit more now.

So as far as I understand I will do the following:

• I have to collect find some nice 909/808ā€™s types of sample kits
  • program the ā€œMoritz templateā€
  • Layer the sounds
  • Make the layers sound nice by using static LFO trick on the pitch, SRR, etcā€¦

Well coming weeks Iā€™ll try to become more experienced with layering techniquesā€¦

ā€¦btw this Moritzā€™s guy, did he ever received some sort of Elektron noble prize for this algoritm?

Well many people give great advice on this forumā€¦thanks again.

1 Like

Hello Noxical,

If your looking for descent 808 & 909 samples, I recommend the gold baby tape 808 & 909 sets.

Another alternative is purchasing the goldbaby MPC volume 1. It has all the original roland machines, but as they would sound sampled on an MPC 60.

Cheers:)

Thx guys for the references! :slight_smile: But anyways, DaCaVa spent way more time fine-tuning my idea and fine-tuning sounds in general, so itā€™s a good idea to listen to what heā€™s saying.

You could also combine the MD with a Jomox Mbrane sound module. I use this sometimes for toms and sample it to the MD, in particular for drum-focused situations (e.g., transitions, breaks) because it needs a lot of space in the mix if you leave it as is. In other words, you quickly end up with too much fatness.

80% of my drum kits looks like this: ā€œMoritz templateā€ as you named it using samples which are saved in a standardized way as described somewhere so that I can switch through a bunch of samplebanks while playing, internal machine on track 11 for some weird MD synthesis stuff. The other 20% just differ in the useage of tracks 7-8. so basically always some layering :slight_smile:

Anybody can upload the ā€œMoritzā€ template? Please?

Firstly, tweak the individual sounds. Work that eq, notching or boosting frequencies. Distorsion, SRR, filtering (with and without resonance).

Then, use the master eq to get the overall sound where you want it. If you use the internal compressor you might want to eq the sound with the master eq before compressing.

Then you are ready for the outside world. :slight_smile: I usually run the MD quite hot through a tascam M-216 mixer, fx sends to tape echos and such.

Nothing to upload. Just an idea. It is a method of programming kits for the MD.

You canā€™t go wrong using an OTO Biscuit on the MD outputs. Warms it right up. But I agree with the poster who mentioned tweaking up and EQing each sound. Really important if you plan to make the MD sound good layered with other instruments or sounds.

Hello,

I have been layering some snares today with samples from Wave Alchemy ā€œSynth Drumsā€. I find it quite difficult, but rewarding. I noticed you can really brush it your own wayā€¦which is cool and gives you more unique soundsā€¦however, I still have to practiceā€¦it takes much time for meā€¦but it fun.

Anyway, check my profile for the reference song and thanks for you input.

I have route the final percussion set of the MD through the A4ā€¦ Which gives the snare the final analog edgeā€¦ The kick is routed to separate outputā€¦this will be my choice of meat for the MD. Also the A4 provides some additional percussion to increase the analog vibeā€¦I think A4 and MD together for the perfect drum machine this way for me.

So the hardware routing is okā€¦ however, the moritz temple I did chance a lot, but I think its a good way to start making drumloopsā€¦still I have to find something that works like structure, but its making more sence nowā€¦

Question:
I was think about buying goldbaby samplesā€¦but I believe I can better buy the 808+909 sound pack specially for Octatrack. Then I have both for single price. Can I load them also in MD?

Cheers

And yes I noticed EQā€™ing is very importantā€¦you have to spread out all the frequencies to give all the sounds their own space somehow.

It takes much time, in fact 50% of the time I donā€™t know what I am doing, but just tweaking makes it very rewarding for your sound in the end.

I see it like this chinese hand fans, spread it out or else it wonā€™t blow your mind :wink:

I can really notice the difference in ā€œmy soundā€ nowā€¦thanks

Cool manā€¦ the exercise of layering drums is a lot of fun, and very rewarding. For me personally, I think it took my tracks to the next level. Right now, Iā€™m fine tuning some of the kits I started and making new ones.

One note about EQingā€¦ I noticed that I over did it in the beginning. Right now Iā€™m toning things down again. What sounded okay on my monitors came out all wrong on cheaper systems. The kicks boomed too much and some of the hats were a little too piercing. Although sounds had their place in the mix, it didnā€™t sound to organic.

Personally, I know this will be an ongoing thing that I will fine-tune, revamp, rework etcā€¦

L8r man:)

I just started using the Analog 4 as a subtle processor for the Machinedrum and Iā€™m really in love with the results. A nice subtle warmness. If you add a little bit of chorus, so 20/25% mixed in, it also takes away some of that inherent boxiness that can be associated w the MD. I did spend a lot of time on the straight MD sounds before I went this route, however.

Sweet, I never tried the chorus on the MD signal. Iā€™ll give it a shot. Cheers:)

Pixelife, the same tip for my configuration: MD thru A4 with chorus. It adds a king of stereo panning

Also, not sure about our setup, but using the multiple outs of the MD and running separate sounds into a mixer really helps with the separation, definition and depth of the sounds.

Cheers !

Hello secretmusic.

The suggestion to separate the individual drum sounds is interesting. Iā€™ve never done this with elektron products. In my mind, I didnā€™t see the point if you could process each sound within each machine, but perhaps thereā€™s something Iā€™m missing.

Since your tutorials and music is quite impressive, Iā€™d be curious to know how you separate your drums on the MD, to help with a better mix:)

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Secretmusic,

Iā€™d be curious to know how you separate your drum sounds. Iā€™ve always just used the stereo out, since I could process each sound within the box with reverb, delay, compression, filtering, EQ etcā€¦