How would you set up my gear?

Hello,
Just looking for some advice and instructions for my set up?
I have a DT, Tr-8 + Tb-3, Microbrute and moogerfooger.
I ideally would like to have them all running through the DT then going into my mixer to record from my PC.I really don’t even know where to start as I’ve little experience and some advice would be very much appreciated!
Gavin

1 Like

can you give us some more detail about your mixer and audio interface?

2 Likes

If you really want everything going through the DT, you could run the TB3 into one channel of the TR8 and the Microbrute into the other channel of the TR8. Run the TR8 out into the DT and pan the inputs on the DT to center. You will lose panning for those instruments but everything will go through the DT.

1 Like

all synths go to a mixer, stereo out to digitakt & another to interface. would be best to get all into their own inputs to interface, maybe. moogerfooger on an FX chain from the mixer so you can use it with all sound sources. digitakt out to interface or w/ usb direct to daw. digitakt as a midi controller for all synths w/ a midi splitter.

2 Likes

This is not ideal. And there is no way of having all your synths and drums going into the single stereo inputs of the DT, unless you were somehow daisy chaining them together.

You’d be much better off with a cheap usb mixer with enough inputs to accommodate all your gear.

4 Likes

Indeed

Ts speaks of a mixer,so for a good set up we need to know which one

1 Like

For jamming I home, I have everything running through a mixer, but for live shows I daisy chain everything as has been suggested already.

Mine looks like DT>DN>AR>AH - You need to be careful with gain staging, but it works.

2 Likes

…if u really wanna harvest all that, u might wanna consider some little digital mixer/interface solution…

the tascam models have a great price/function value…

1 Like

Sorry it’s a alesis multimix 8 usb mixer,
Thanks

Hi it’s a alesis multimix 8 mixer
I don’t have an audio interface,
Cheers

That sounds perfect…wouldn’t have thought of that! Cheers man😀

Stack them on top of each other for a high stakes game of Jenga.

1 Like

Tried that😂

1 Like

Going slightly off-topic…

Can you get the DN loud enough into the AR, or do you find you need to drop your AR’s track levels a bit? (I’ve been known to say elsewhere on Elektronauts that dropping the AR’s track levels is a fine strategy, but I’m beginning to doubt myself :wink: ).

What does AH give you over the AR’s distortion and compressor?

Off topic response

To jump in with my 2 cents.

Trying to gain stage into the AR’s external inputs is bullshit. Surely they just forgot to allow control over input gain, because why wouldn’t you allow control over input gain?

Anyway, moan over, to answer your other question, the AH has a few advantages over the AR’s distortion. Most obvious of which is the EQ, which I feel like the AR really needs, especially to bring the low end out. Also, the AR distortion is pretty smashy (not a bad thing) but the AH has a lot more variety of distortion types, allowing you pick out/create a much wider palate of harmonics.

Also, the way the AH is routed makes parallel saturation a lot easier.

1 Like

The longer I own mine, the more annoying I find this. I keep reading “it’s optimised for modular”… but I am not going down that rabbit hole. Even my Matriarch’s not quite loud enough into the AR. (although I should experiment more).

You may have put it back on my GAS list instead of a Boum.

Thanks for the useful reply.

1 Like

My new one will be here in a few days. Can’t wait.

Should never have sold my first one.

5 Likes

Ok thx
It can be a audio interface that mixer

Off course its small and will not fit al your gear.

I would use the stereo input on your mixer for the dt

The td3 and the microbrute to the inputs of the Dt

And your tr8s to the mono inputs of your mixer

With the usb connected to your pc
You can record them as seperates tracks in a daw

1 Like

if you are feeling overwhelmed, maybe pair your favorite of those devices with one more device.
i would pick the digitakt and the tb 3.
use the digitakt to record to your pc.
do some recordings with just these, when you get tired, switch one out.
digitakt works great as a bridge between your instruments and the computer.
having the tr8-s and the tb-3 going into the outputs of the DT would be really fun too. put a moogerfooger in one of the the audio paths. keep it simple

1 Like

I think I have to drop the AR down a bit, but I think that is just a headroom issue.

AR master distortion does not effect input) unlike the compressor (which honestly is fine and almost preferred). I usually have the compressor working just a bit.

The AH is just my “idk how this room will sound” helper. I also occasionally use the EQ or filter for live use too, but sparingly. In the studio it’s just waiting for me to start recording through it. And again, there it’s mostly doing subtle stuff.

2 Likes