HW DEALS : Hardware on Sale

Not a specific deal but with the Euro where it is, prices for US customers on Thomann are really low. I got a Waldorf M and a second tier for my K&M stand for $1780 after shipping and customs. It would have cost me $2500 for the M alone here because of the exorbitant markup on Waldorf stuff in the US. The M and Iridium Keyboard in particular are unreasonably priced in the US - the difference in markup on those versus the Iridium and older products is massive.

The Behringer 2600 is another item that’s a lot cheaper from Thomann even after shipping and that should be a low enough price that you won’t get dinged by customs in the US. The K&M stacker is $190 in the US (!) but $75 from Thomann and didn’t add to my shipping costs.

You just need to make sure whatever you get either comes with a switching power supply or there’s a US power supply cheaply available. Don’t want to get the magic smoke. I had to order a $9 power cable for the M but the power supply was rated for 100-240V.

6 Likes

Just to chime in that I’ve also had good experiences with ProAudioStar. They do sell open-box and used items as well as new, but these are always clearly marked. Just check the listing.

And I’ve had the same packaging experiences. They don’t double-box anything, so if your stuff sits in a common area or on the stoop or something, everyone’s going to know that’s a Prophet X waiting to be stolen. Or if it’s important to you that “You’ve Got the Box™”, it can arrive pretty abused. But the gear has always been in good condition.

Otherwise I think they just have a huge warehouse and need to clear out the 4–5 year old stuff every once in a while, and discount to match.

1 Like

+1 for ProAudioStar. Got my black MS-20 FS $400 off from them when every other retailer only had the other colors available last December. Shipping was fast too.

1 Like

Indeed. I buy a lot of stuff from them, most recently a Lyra-8, which was far cheaper to get from them than it was US dealers. They can’t sell some things to US customers (Neumann mics are a no-go, which is a drag, because Thomann’s prices are far, far lower than what they cost in the US), but they have a lot of stuff we can’t get over here (I’ve purchased a nice lute and a rebec from them). I like them. Super-fast shipping (days, not weeks).

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a lot of stuff from Thomann over the years. I import Jaspers stands with them and I bought my Super6 there (which even after shipping and tariffs was cheaper and arrived faster than I could get it from any US retailer).

I’ve got a 4-tier Jasper stand on the way right now, no shipping info yet, but the order said it should arrive today. I’d be pleasantly surprised as I haven’t gotten any notifications from customs yet. I hope it gets here before next wednesday because I have something big coming in I need that stand for.

I’ve bought from proaudiostar before, and I wouldn’t have a problem with doing it again. Matrixbrutes in general seem to be cheap right now. I hardly ever see them at the MSRP of $2k, they can be had for $1500 one place or another all the time. And the used price ceiling seems to be around $1300-$1400. I paid around $1500 for mine 3 years ago, so it just seems like a product that is a bit long in the tooth and isn’t selling like it used to.

4 Likes

I bought a Novation Circuit from ProAudioStar once that oddly came without a power supply. I emailed them and they sent out a replacement adapter, but it did have me wondering if they had incorrectly marked an open-box listing (it was a really good price) as new.

musiciansfriend has a pretty good 15% off sale on a lot, Waldorf specifically!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?typeAheadSuggestion=true&typeAheadRedirect=true&sB=r&fromRecentHistory=false&Ntt=waldorf

1 Like

This would be probably tempting especially for people in EU. The shop I bought M from (for the full price) six months ago have some huge sales now. And there is at least one in stock. Don’t know about the shipping cost to abroad, but other than that it seems it can be yours for circa 1420 EUR (when I convert it from our currency).
There is already nice 8% off, but until this wednesday you can do another 12% if you write code “víkendoffka” during the checkout. Not sure if it works outside Czech Republic but worth the try.
And it applies some other Waldorfs though not all of them are in stock. But Iridium desktop is - for those from “get both” camp… :wink:

https://shop.disk.cz/waldorf-m--waldorf-/

I’m living in the EU, but the price is €1629,- without shipping.

And did you try that code? 1629 looks like the price with only the 8% off. It seems you have to make an account first. I tried to get through the process almost to the end (right before buying accidentaly second M… :slight_smile: ) and it showed that lower price from my previous post…

1 Like

You’re right, thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really great deal on Amazon for the 2021 MacBook Pros–this link is for the 16" MacBook Pro with 1TB HD (the same model I have) for $250 off the regular price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JQK9DK5?tag=macrumors-20&th=1&geniuslink=true

Edit: FWIW, I’ve had my 16" MacBook Pro since fall 2021. So far, it is the best Mac laptop (or for that matter any laptop) I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had quite a few over the years). Sturdy, great screen, great keyboard feel, super fast, silent quiet, rock solid, great purchase.

3 Likes

I checked to see if Amazon carries the Mac Studio I just ordered, and they don’t seem to. B&H does have a number of Studio configs in stock, including the config I ordered last weekend that Apple promised I’ll get by next month.

I will probably be getting a Mac Studio in 3-5 years when I retire my 2013 Mac Pro. Apple announced that Ventura won’t support the Mac Pro, so just (finally) upgraded to Monterey. I will hang onto it as long as all my software and studio connections still work, which I figure will last at least for a few more MacOS iterations. Very happy that I have gotten just about 10 years of flawless performance from the Mac Pro, especially considering there are times when I have over 20 separate peripherals connected to it at once and no glitches. Amazing.

3 Likes

Very interesting! What should I expect to be paying in VAT to have something delivered to the US? A MKII Octatrack is calling my name.

VAT is removed if you’re ordering from the US. You will get import duty on any purchase over $750, but it shouldn’t be much. I got a Waldorf Iridium from there last year, and paid around $80 in duty/fees. Shipping was $30, arrived in 3 days.

5 Likes

When you bought the iridium did it come with the US power supply or EU power supply ?

1 Like

I don’t honestly recall. It has a PSU that you plug a power cable into, so it’s very easy to swap out. I’ll check the box over the weekend to see if there’s still an EU power cable in there. I have a feeling I just plugged a US power cable into the PSU.

1 Like

Switching power supply for the M, just needed to swap the cable. Pretty sure the Iridium has the same one.

1 Like