Hydrasynth from ASM - Tips and Tricks

At which stage? Couldn’t be managed at OSC mixer levels?
By the way on mono patches this shouldn’t happen, right?

Nevermind. After trying to diagnose where the clipping was coming from I think it’s happening as the hotter signal goes in to my pedalboard. Checked both the headphone output from the hydra and the output from before my pedals and couldn’t replicate the same problem

1 Like

:+1:

Anyone having Velo Off use examples ?

So thanks, it works perfectly ! :content:

I used CC4 to control Syntakt Velocity, Keytrack CC3 to control notes. It allows to play a plocked sequence. Kind of arp.

Notes are triggered by the sequencer, but their value is controlled by the Hydrasynth CC3. Velocity goes back to 1 if I don’t play. Fun !

5 Likes

Lot of fun. Next will be polyphonic, but I’ll need a midi processor.

4 Likes

Pfiou, I’ll tell you it’s cold outside today. Fortunately for me, I have my Hydrasynth to keep me warm with all its firewood crackles :

4 Likes

Realistic sounds. But I hear something else than firewood crackles. :content:
Fm, noise… ?

1 Like

Yeah basically FM mutators, chorus, flanger, and there you go. I think it’s a shame that almost all demos out there in youtube land are cheesy new age sounds because you can get helluva experimental with the Hydra. Why nobody has tried to reproduce Sophie sounds with it, for example ?

4 Likes

I think it’s all about what demographic is targeted with, or interested in, the surface value proposition, i.e. affordable, flexible new-school digital polysynth with tons of modulation and great, approachable UI. At face value that says “pad synth”, which, sure, it can do! On the other hand the Soft Pop 2: sure, it has a pretty interesting and immediate sequencer, but it doesn’t sound all that unusual, certainly not compared to what the Hydra is capable of - mostly it just looks really cool and weird.

Thing can totally do SOPHIE sounds though - PhazDiff? Get outta here!

4 Likes

Count on me. Working on it and having pleasure.
I won’t try to imitate a particular artist, but I will dive in Hydrasynth possibilities, as I usually do will all my gear.

Doesn’t seem a problem for me, if HS can do it too ! Personally I like to try to mimic analog sounds, and it helped me to learn Hydrasynth subtleties.

I subscribed to her channel before buying HS E :

5 Likes

Sounds more like popcorn popping.

The hydrasynth gets weirder faster and easier than any other synth. Just press random on various things.

3 Likes

What I really appreciate with HS (and with any gear) is the randomness under control…

2 Likes

Any Tips to make a saw with FM, 2 sine waves ? I used Ratio 1, around 50% feedback, can’t remember FM depth. It wasn’t satisfying.
I had better results with Digitone. Possibly a FM type problem ? (Linear)

On other FM synths, I usually just use one sine wave and turn up the feedback until it sharpens up. So here, I’d use the same osc as the modulator for the mutator (i.e., making the ratio irrelevant).

1 Like

Yep, what I did, but it wasn’t as sharp as in the video, or what I obtained with Digitone. (@Tchu you have HS and DN to compare isn’t it?)
Best results I could get with these settings :

OSC1

MUTANT 1

MUTANT 2

That looks pretty good to me, honestly, just seeing it. Maybe setting the mutant 1 source to itself or mutant 2 would be more interesting?

1 Like

Sounds dull, not sharp enough.

What do you want me to compare exactly?

Make a saw from sine, FM.
DN : RATIO 1, feedback 60, increase operator mod.
Better with DN ?

Boost the feedbacks to max, esp mutants that go to 150%, and work back from there?