I Hate Fiddly Instruments

So absolutely no new roland boxes :-P.

2 Likes

My SP-404mk2 is basically a paper weight at this point. I bought it as something to use away from my regular setup (on a couch, at the beach, travelling, etc), but there are just so many different (but similar) key combos that I need to watch a few hours of tutorials and firmware update vids just to use it

5 Likes

Get a ukulele, problem solved!

5 Likes

Tuning it can be quite fiddly. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Only till the strings break in!

1 Like

This is how I felt after buying a skiff and trying out modular.
I just became more enamored in very well designed devices.
I suddenly had more respect for Elektron, Dave Smith Instruments, Moog, even Ableton.

4 Likes

@braken 404 OG and SX can be had for cheap and a lot less button combos to remember.

A tad small to use as a boogie board unfortunately!

2 Likes

we all want a

with the OS of a

So in the end we get a lot of garbage that doesn’t live up to the task of either one.

9 Likes

18 Likes

I thought I really wanted an Octatrack until I started reading about it on this forum.

4 Likes

6 Likes

yeah Perfourmer and Vermona in general are what I was thinking of above about there still being simple “does one thing really well” synths/machines out there. machines where you can throw away the manual on the first day (if you ever even need to open it).

4 Likes

Tons probably make the same mistake.

I’ll let you know if/when I’ll regret my decision.

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind if I down your beer since you’ve got a flute of champagne in your hand. :joy:

2 Likes

This thread speaks to me. I wrote a rant about this comparing the OT (obtuse) to the Hydrasynth (great balance of depth and brilliant accessibility to features). The response I got was very negative, so nice to see others chiming in with frustrations and hopes for good UI design, which to see really is about finding the right balance between the number of useful features against the undue complexity of too many features for the “interface” to handle.

3 Likes

Ah yes, going to the most pro octatrack place on the internet and being :open_mouth: that people come to defend it. Very counterintuitive. :slight_smile:

Personally one of the reasons that I enjoy elektron devices is the reduced overhead of learning additional devices. The pain of learning shortcuts and button combos largely goes away after the third one. So I am not sure if the syntakt isn’t fiddly or if learning the OT just paved the way to make it seem simple to use.

1 Like

I think there is some parallel with “by the third shot you’re already drunk and that’s how you make it through the rest of the night on autopilot…” but I’m trying to figure out how to phrase it in the form of a joke.

3 Likes

By the third shot, you’re just playing the same loop over and over for an hour waggling the crossfader thinking “I’m a genius”

5 Likes

The Octatrack is pretty immediate compared to a lot of stuff IMHO, sure there are some button combos to remember (esp MK1) but most stuff is fairly logical and not deeply nested.

1 Like