I Hate Fiddly Instruments

crossfader ain’t the only thing waggling about.

1 Like

How dare you install cameras in my studio and spy on me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Grandma_s_Boy_4_5_Movie_CLIP_I_Am_a_Genius_2006_HD

2 Likes

OT really divides the people.
My best friend thinks it’s far too complicated.
I find it very simple to comprehend.
The way I see it there are many other things that are actually complicated, like animation /gaming software.
And I’m sure there’s a whole host of people who find that simple.

All Elektrons boxes sit in a sweet spot for me.
Gives a bit of a challenge at first, but really opens up after a few years once the muscle memory is :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This has been on my mind quite a bit as I started looking into Eurorack seriously for the first time to expand my Matriarch.

I remember looking at old Doepfer stuff and thinking how much fun it looked (and I guess those modules really are what I would think of as ‘modular’ - ie building blocks) but a lot of the more modern stuff with cramped interfaces and as much functionality as possible crammed in just makes me think I’d feel frustrated with the dissonance between them and the spacious Moog.

Heavily veering towards gradually building up a set of AJH modules which look pleasant to use and feel more ‘complementary’ for that use. Obviously it limits the possibilities versus all the crazier stuff but that might not be a bad thing in the end.

1 Like

I love my Digitakt very much and find it quite easy to control. But since i hooked up 2 midi controllers to it and now have control over 48 additional knobs and 17 faders it feels like heaven to me.
I wish elektron would produce deluxe versions of their devices with a hundred knobs. Imagine a knob-per-function Octatrack! :dizzy_face::exploding_head::slightly_smiling_face::pray:

2 Likes

this is why I love my Moog Sub 37 no fiddly knobs and good size easy to use. Same on my OB X8 very user friendly larger sized knobs and buttons!

3 Likes

Some companies get this, others don’t.

• Elektron Digi boxes = sweet spot between seamless, intuitive interface and depth
  • Anything Roland from the past ten years = stay away
  • Honorable mention: Korg Minilogue XD
6 Likes

Over the years I’ve worked out I can just about manage to hang onto muscle memory for a maximum of three different synth manufacturer button combo/menu diving UIs. So I’m good with the Hydrasynth (which is pretty intuitive anyway TBH), I’m good with Elektron (so far… Digitakt now, most probably DN and ST to follow I think) and I can just about manage my way around one of Roland’s less weird and annoying button/menu UIs (TR8S is OK). But if I add in a whole other bunch of gear with very different idiosyncrasies, then I’m just searching through the manual far too much because I can’t remember stuff and the whole vibe gets killed off for me.

This doesn’t apply to anything where the front panel controls tell you almost all you need to know like a Minilogue or pretty much anything that’s one knob per function with clear labelling on the panel. It’s only the gear where most of what you need is nested in a bunch of menus that aren’t logical, and where there’s a complicated button combo to do basic things that’s not obvious from the panel labelling and that isn’t consistent between different types of operation.

3 Likes

For songwriting, I like quick access with practically zero menu diving. So it is either presets with some layering or a barebones subtractive synth, recorded into a blackbox. The only fiddly subprocess is drum programming (iPad) and finalising the arrangement in the DAW, both a necessary evil.

On stage, I prefer to use a single fiddly instrument which can do everything I need: Korg Kronos, because I don’t like fiddling around with more than one device on there.

That’s exactly why I’m good with the DT/DN/ST combo as my core rig. The shared sequencing and other workflow similarities keep my brain and muscle memory relatively uncluttered.

2 Likes

Agreed. What is the point of getting a hardware instrument if the interface is awful? The interface is the point! Everything except the interface is emulated to sufficient quality in software.

After a few bad experiences, modern Roland is on my don’t buy list because of this sort of thing. Their stuff sounds good, but it is not worth it.

7 Likes

One of the reasons I ended up selling my Peak recently. Knob per function is great but the mod matrix was annoying. Ended up keeping my Hydrasynth. I’ll miss those peak effects but Hydra does a lot more in a very easy to learn package.

(The other reason I got rid of it is I’m focusing more on eurorack and I want tools that can interface with it more, if we want to talk fiddly op should try some eurorack lol)

2 Likes

Eurorack CAN be fiddly. But it can also be simple and easy to use. I pared down my rack a few years back to 2 Atlantis modules and few utilities and it was a refreshing change to have these relatively large control areas devoid of patch cables.

5 Likes

I share this sentiment and that’s one big reason why M:C is still the Elektron I use the most.

I think it’d be neat if Elektron would try something that focuses more on performance, and less on the sequencer. Sorry forgot to put an unpopular opinion warning.

1 Like

This has been my thinking as well.

I’ve been itching for a simple sampler where I can just dump long loops and play them back asynchronous. Had the MK2 and it was basically a paper weight because of how much they crammed in there, it was a bit overwhelming tbh

1 Like

This is the fiddliest instrument I know

8 Likes

Modor Dr-2 is the opposite of fiddly - big per function knobs and plenty (perhaps too much) real estate! Lovely! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this is why I have a love / hate thing going on with iOS music software.

I love all the options and possibilities and find them really inspiring. Where I struggle is in that slightly higher degree of mental and muscle control required to interact with the iPad screen. That’s an experience I would personally describe as fiddly - it’s doable but feels slightly harder than it should.

It’s probably why my iPad lives in it’s Magic Keyboard.

Phone screen is fine because the whole thing is tactile to hold, likewise things like the Blackbox I can anchor a finger on the case or a knob.

It’s like cars with big touchscreens for the controls. Awful experience compared to reaching down and finding part of the fascia to steady your hand and then find the button you need. Big touch screen you can’t do that, you gotta be careful not to press the wrong thing when looking for the right thing.

1 Like

Why don’t you learn to play the guitar or the piano? No button combos, no menus, no options but it doesn’t mean they’re easy to learn.

1 Like