I made a tutorial on drum processing, layering, and breaks

Forgive me for the fact this is entirely in-the-box, but it’s really the only way to do this sort of thing.

A few of my mates have asked me to do something like this because drums can be pretty challenging. This is by no means the “best” way to do anything, and honestly it could probably have been five individual tutorials at an hour long each, so I’ve brushed over a fair bit of detail to focus on the practical application of the techniques I show here.

The tutorial is at dnb tempo, but the techniques are applicable to any genre, and i cover things like compression, expansion, clipping, sidechaining, layering, drum synthesis, saturation, and so on.

Hope some of you find it useful.

11 Likes

No need to ask for forgiveness, anyone who claims X is better than Y is only correct for themselves.

Others have no say on what I choose to make music. The more they profess what’s right, the more I laugh in their ignorant and opinionated faces.

Thanks for the video, I’ll check it out tonight.

2 Likes

I reposted this on the DnB Battle thread to boost the signal!

1 Like

Hah, totally agree. I know this forum is generally focused on hardware gear, but there must be a few DAWful heads in here. I tend to do sound design sessions like this in a DAW, then load up all the resulting samples into my Maschine+ as fodder for ideas later on.

Nice one mate!

1 Like

How much do you charge to read me bedtime stories with that smooth delivery you got, by the way?

I’d pay to hear you read the Hobbit.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl:

I’m never gonna get used to the sound of my voice in recordings. God, imagine listening to an audiobook read by yourself. That’d be hell.

To answer your question, that’ll be about tree fiddy.

2 Likes

Is that Noisia’s audio analyzer?

1 Like

Yeah it is. Absolutely love it.

1 Like