I recorded a suite of 6 modular ambient pieces based on Gamelan music

I recorded a suite of 6 modular ambient tracks inspired in gamelan music from Java and Bali.
This month I begun to read a book synced with a friend. Every week we read a new chapter and we commented and shared thoughts and recordings during the next week. It’s being a great experience. The book is Ocean of Sound by David Toop.
I was inspired by the first chapter that talked about Gamelan music from the islands of Bali and Java and also the music from Brian Eno and his album Neroli, where he tried to recreate the scent of orange blossom and its relaxing and inspiring qualities. Music being able to adjust to several levels of auditive attention, being ignored and interesting at the same time.
I don’t have the knowledge nor the instruments to play gamelan music, but I was heavily influenced to try to make my own fragances, full of pentatonic scales, traditional percussion, ethnic instruments, kalimba, gongs and electronic modulation, random clouds and ethereal scripts.

12 Likes

Wow, what a sound. This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for your words! :blush:

Very cool. What a nice space full of beautiful instruments. Having a bit of gong envy…

1 Like

Beautiful, thank you for sharing, i love the felt piano sound

1 Like

Thanks! The gongs were from a percussionist friend that let me this 2 gongs to make the video.

Thanks. Someone told me there were a lot of mechanincal noises in the felt piano sound, but I also like it this way.