If you had to choose one, which one would it be and why?

Yet another vote for the A4 mk 1. I love mine, won’t part with it!

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to believe the hype. But even when listening to Elektron masters like @Eaves, I preferred the DN excursions he makes compared to ones on A4. Anyway, I’ll stop derailing the thread with my unpopular opinions. Agree with the Swiss Army Knife opinion of A4. It’s very flexible, just requires a lot a learning and tweaking.

4 Likes

i use rytm and rev2. That’s right, the good old Nord Lead, I’ve always wanted to try it out, even though I’m actually into new devices. Ambient techno here. I don’t really like naming it that one, but I think it fits in well.

I confess to (1) not understanding the needs of hip-hop [I would have expected a preference for samples but you specifically mention DN], and (2) not doing my own drum design on A4 [yet], but relying on the terrific packs by @darenager and @taro, which hit like, well, insert your own percussive metaphor here. This from someone who bought DT because the percussion on M:C [while the best part of that device, for me] didn’t sound right. I am only now starting to appreciate techno. I don’t know that I can explain my preference in drum sounds in terms of genres.

2 Likes

That is my observation as well, it’s harder on the Analog Four to make natural sounding drums. I’m into Rhythmic Industrial, so for me the A4 is right :wink:

Oh, and that’s my choice from the initial list: Analog Four. It’s four Analog Synths (plus FM AM etc. goodies) with four Sequencers.

If not from the List, Syntakt!

6 Likes

I’ve owned all of them, and the A4 (mk2) is the only one I’ve kept.

For me it’s about building a good chunk of a track on it. I couldn’t get to grips with the Korg or Micro/Minifreak sequencers.

1 Like

I think you nailed it right here. Just goes to show how individual these machines can be :+1:

2 Likes

An A4 with an AK is certainly one of the strongest couples for making music.

2 Likes

A4 was my first hardware synth so I’m partial to it but Digitone is really great especially if you want to explore FM synthesis in a user friendly manner. Have you considered a Waldorf or Virus?

1 Like

Yes, I once heard her or your @jeanne industrial sounds over the a4. without flattering myself, i have to admit that this is on a very high level. i produce more ambient stories like this and i once had the a4 and had difficulties creating a pleasant sound quickly, while i also had the minilogue and got very quick results here. But it is interesting what many write here and I think maybe the a4 will get another chance. he can definitely do certain sounds like a 303 or deep floating unison drone quite well.

1 Like

yes, waldorf and virus are always on my mind. my dream is to be able to afford the quantum at some point :slight_smile: i think the blofeld would be able to fit in here in terms of price, but then I prefer the cheap analogue one, because i wasn’t really happy with the blofeld at the time either. I’ve never had a virus, but everything I hear is great.

For me it’s the opposite! :crazy_face: Digitone is fairly bewildering for me - lots of options that don’t make sense to me and I often struggle to get the sounds I want.

If you understand subtractive synthesis then A4 is so much easier to work with and I get to something fairly quickly with it. Having recently picked up an A4 its giving me everything I was trying to create with the Digitone without having to watch tutorial videos and bending it against its will.

I think it really depends on the kind of sounds you want to create!

A used MK1 A4 is an absolute bargain.

For the OP though I’ve recently picked up both a Minifreak and an A4 - I think they compliment each other well :ok_hand: If I could only have one though I’d take the A4

2 Likes

I’d go for an A4, having 4 different voices at the same time is very convenient.

A4 needs learning.
I’d say less the options in themselves, that are many and will get you busy for some time, than getting a mental map of the attainable sounds.

It’s not a synth that get you something interesting in the first 20s you own it, most definitely. For someone who wants immediacy, I would not recommend A4.

There are interactions between oscillators waveforms and levels, filter distorsion and resonance, and all the modulations you can set including hidden (second menu’s) ones that need a lot of tweaking before you understand how get control over your sound design. Once you get some interesting timbres, save a Sound patch like you’d plant a flag on uncharted territory, and soon enough you’ll have a shortcuts to reach quickly a sound you have in mind.

It’s only once you’re there that fun starts, and when you exhaust the sequencing possibilities you reach places other synths can’t even dream of. Sound locks, Direct Jump, FX sequencing, slide trigs… A self-sufficient and unconventional synth, really :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t have an A4 so bear with me: what exactly is the comparison, here? Seems to me the A4 is a great machine for multiple monophonic parts like a drum sound, bassline, melody, whatever. But after a quick look it seems cumbersome and not well suited for chords like a polysynth. The other machines listed are polysynths. Having to pick one…well, doesn’t that depend entirely on what you want to do?

1 Like

You can obtain poly by using it as a single part with 4 voices or with each mono part, using OSC tuning of OSC 1 + OSC 2 + SUBOSC set at 5th as 3 notes chords (with P-Lock you can set a different chord per step easily, there’s also a chart somewhere in the forum).
Add detune, and you can get it “FAT”.

1 Like

Yeah I get that, but again to my comment, it doesn’t seem well suited in that regard. 4 voices is quite limited, and manual tuning of oscillators is cumbersome. Don’t get me wrong, still useful, but in context of A4 vs machines with more voices…idk, just seems like a weird question to answer with “X is best”

The arturias and the minilogue xd have loads of digital options and can go into very different territories than A4 or minilogue… so the comparison is difficult.
The A4 has four separate tracks on the other hand, you can do full songs on it. In this regard none of the others is comparable.
If we’re comparing only the subtractive synthesis side of things the A4 is the most flexible. Otherwise the arturias have by far the widest sound spectrum I assume.

Another big difference between the A4 and the other synths you mentioned is the interface. Groovebox form factor vs keyboard style synth with loads of direct controls

1 Like

Get the priciest one so I can resell to get the next one at lower outlay. Not sure of the purpose behind the question here - is it sound quality, is it for live performance is it to make synth wave sounds etc…?

It’s mostly about the sound quality and the price. you can get all these synthesizers very cheaply on ebay. in the context of polyphony they are all limited anyway, with the mini freak having the most voices. yes i may be in a situation where i need to sell the rev2and temporarily have to decide on a replacement because the rytm will definitely not be sold. I find it very difficult to decide which one it will be, so I’m asking here. in addition, i prefer analog devices and these devices are analog or hybrid.

Do you have external/centralized sequencing or not?

Do you want more to write songs quickly or do you want to dig deep in sound design?

The A4 is better if you dont have external sequencing.

Minilogue XD or Minifreak for quicker/simpler sound design.

A4 if you need the option of using as 4 mono-synths. Minilogue XD/freak if you have better monos already.

I was faced with this choice too. I chose the Minilogue XD because it fitted my needs better.

I’m glad I did, because it sounds soooo good, fully loaded with custom oscillators and FX. I’m not much of a sound designer, I pick one of Jexus’s patches, change the multi-engine and tweak from there. For me it sounds better than many more expensive polys etc.

The A4 sounds okay, can sound great if programmed well, but never makes my jaw drop like the MxD does.

All in my opinion, of course. Enjoy choosing!

1 Like