Immediate gear selling regret

Sold my Ornament-8 last week, now I’m looking for a new one. I was thinking about buying a Syntrx, but I think I’ll keep my Pulsar.

At least it’s possible to buy it again.

4 Likes

@brucegill looks like you have a would be apprentice :arrow_up:

5 Likes

hahaha. I normally wait for 2-3 months before buying again! Although I did sell an 0-coast and buy another a month later.

The good thing here is you can just crib the text from your old sales threads when you sell one again :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s just weird! I hate these instruments. They’re so weird that you can’t really replace them. The Pulsar is not the same instrument without the Ornament. But they cost like €2700 together and there should be a reason that I’ve sold it, right? :slight_smile: I mean I could still buy a Syntrx if I’d sell the Pulsar as well.

I’m massively undecided.

1 Like

As long as it doesn’t stop you from actually making music, I think you’ll be fine. There are people who think they’re one last purchase away from having a setup that they can finally start making music with. (I know I was like that the short time I tried eurorack.)

Judging by the 200+ wonderful posts in the current sounds thread, you don’t have that problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

Does anyone really call their setup final or finished with a serious face anyway?

11 Likes

I sold my prophet 6, immediately regretted it… I wanted a new synth like the syntrx that I thought would be cooler, because I’m not a keys player and it seems more my wheelhouse…
Immediately realized once it was gone that it was the sound I loved so much and is actually different when most analog sounds similar… over all it is just much more of a instrument… plus that brassy prophet sound gives me chills… so I spent an extra $300 buying another since the price had gone up so much…

But now I’m thinking of selling it again to get the new music easel…lol… something might be wrong with me…

4 Likes

I’ve got a friend like this - the first person I knew with any Elektron gear, as it happens. He’s got a great studio and mixes/masters for loads of people but has never (to my knowledge) allowed anything of his own to be deemed finished and fit for the ears of others. After all this time I figure maybe he just likes the machines and the amazing noises they can make, rather than tracks, which I can 100% understand.

10 Likes

Describes me to the tee. Minus also being terrible at creating music. :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

I stopped playing guitar five years ago or so. I sold a bunch of pedals, a MIJ fender jaguar and a Blackstar ht5 combo. Recently I started playing again and really miss the amp and the guitar. Just ordered a new blackstar. I probably will never have a MIJ fender again. I am really glad I didn’t sell my MIJ Jackson dinky pro series.

3 Likes

I sold two Virus TI2’s to fund my retirement. One was the limited edition (supposedly) gunmetal grey. The other a truly limited edition 5 octave white out SN number 005. I miss having a virus because they do so much. I could do 8 channels of synth madness and not run out of polyphony. But, I was frustrated with the company for abandoning the Virus for their new, big selling guitar amp. Now in reality I understand, it is business and that amp is big. But still, it pisses me off. The MC-707 that I bought does help. 8 channels and plenty of polyphony. Once I pick up a Jupiter XM I will be over it completely, but I still have mixed feeling and some regret for selling both of my Viruses.

3 Likes

I missed my Vermona DRM MK3 the moment it was gone. Not so much the sound, rather the look of it. The understated seriousness of the thing. Part of its former place is now occupied by a green glowing attention grabbing goblin called System 1m. How could I let this happen?

1 Like

My made in Japan Fender Jaguar is the last thing they’ll pry from my dead cold hands. My V-synth and my Jaguar.

Yeah, I feel dumb for selling that. I bought it new in 94. I was 15 or so.

1 Like

I actually regret selling an OTMkii. I enjoyed making drones, and fannying about with it, and I figured that I wasn’t using it “properly” or to “it’s potential” and so I felt guilty for owning it.

I regret that now, because, I liked playing with it, and I shouldn’t feel guilty for buying toys.

8 Likes

I started entertaining the idea of selling my Lyra the other day.

Luckily, the idea passed without incident.

9 Likes

I’ve definitely sold things for this reason - things I really liked, too. I have this notion that things ought to be used and therefore if I’m not doing it then I almost have an obligation to the objects and myself to move them on

But also this is very true!

2 Likes

I regret letting go a volca sample. I had it loaded with nice percussive samples and breaks, it was a happy accident machine and it sounded so crunchy! in a good way…
oh well, it went to a friend

1 Like

Funny, I’ve been thinking about rebuying the Volca Keys and Volca Bass again. I can’t remember which one I liked more. I think maybe the Keys. Perhaps, I’ll grab one of those first and see if it scratches the itch again.

As much as people like raw, analog sounds. I’m surprised these don’t get more love anymore.

3 Likes

I regret selling my Avalanche Run pedal. This thing was just an endless sweet spot and also just a beautiful piece of gear. Also the KOMA Field Kit - this things we’re just pure fun. But the money went into buying a Monomachine so you know.

1 Like

More gradually than immediate, I’m more and more missing the Digitone.

I’m currently more in a position of selling than buying, but I might actually get it back when I’ve got a bit more income again or sell my Matrixbrute that I recently got in a trade (I have some problems with its complexity and gain staging in the end).

The crisp punch of DN’s fm engine cuts so well too, especially between analog friends. Plus its second hand prices really aren’t that bad for a poly!

1 Like