Immediate gear selling regret

Yeh, only things I have regretted selling is a US Tele (mainly for sentimental reasons, I have another US tele now and its probably a better guitar) …tech stuff pretty much always is better ‘next year’ or next update!

Polivoks Pro, and now im looking for a good mono synth again :exploding_head:

1 Like

Machinedrum … but I don’t know if I’d call it regret so much as anxiety … we got over it

I remember your polivoks for sale thread! I wanted to buy it, but I’m in the wrong country

1 Like

I didn’t even get as far as selling my Shruthi before I was a bit sad about it… It was the first hardware synth I bought, I loved the Polivoks clone filter I’d put in it… nostalgia…

needs must though, I really wanted a Virus and it had basically been on a shelf for almost two years.

Interesting, I wonder how many of us started out as guitarists and then got too old to be in bands so started fucking about with synths

2 Likes

You’re never too old to be in a band, you’re just wise enough to be honest about the fact managing other musicians is a pain in the ass

4 Likes

I think I would say Roland are-301. It sounded amazing with whatever that you connect there.

Sometimes I miss my SP1200 too but when I remember that it didn’t have microtunnig I forget that

I sold the high end machinedrum and monomachine for about 1000 each back in 2019.

I got a mint virus t12 desktop for 1000 and sold it for 1100 cause I needed the money.

Sold my diamond vibrato pedal for cheap right before the pandemic and diamond going out of business (happy they’ll be back!)

Is it fair to have preemptive gear selling regret? I’m having a gear tantrum and listed almost everything

1 Like

I should never have sold my Moog Grandmother to buy a Matriarch.

3 Likes

Really? What do you miss about the Grandmother? I haven’t owned either, but in the surface the Matriarch seems really great, especially that stereo BBD

Me too, +1, Amen.

But without reliable/available/reputable service techs to replace the capacitors, what’s somebody going to do?! Sigh.

I really miss my MPC-60 which I “gave away” (sold for a song) to a friend when I was moving cross-country. It had had developed some screen & reliability problems, and I didn’t know who/where to fix it. But like others have said on this thread (including OP), when I had that, it was one of the most creatively satisfying & productive times I’ve had. I made ditty after ditty, darn it…

totally feel this / almost made this mistake myself

for a while i had both and was just totally blown away with how much i preferred the grandmother’s core sound as well as the economy of its engineering

after selling the matriarch the only thing i miss about it is the delay which is the best i’ve ever heard digital or analog

The same as what @dirty.care says. I expected the Matriarch to be a kind of fancier version of the Grandmother, but it’s a whole different thing.

I hadn’t thought of it this way until now, but the core sound is indeed quite different. Perhaps it’s the filters, or something else.

With the GM, I would just sit and play for hours, maybe patching some auto-generative stuff and screwing with it. I would also sample often to my OP-1 F if I wanted polyphony.

The Matriarch is just a bit overwhelming perhaps it’s like the Octatrack to the Grandmother’s Digitakt? I don’t really get sounds I like out of it, and there are just too many options. Also, some core patch points are hidden around the back.

And while the delay is amazing as an instrument in itself, I find it’s not so great as an actual delay, and it also weakens, and quietens, the dry signal whenever it’s engaged. I prefer running it through an Elektron delay.

2 Likes