Immediate gear selling regret

Reading through this thread 3rd time, I fail to comprehend why regret should be even a thing in this context.

If you have some set of information at some point in time, and you act accordingly to the information that you have at hand (and the time you have for processing such information) - then in my book that’d mean you did your best at that time, and so automatically it’s nothing to feel regret about.

If you acted on a whim, or without taking your time to dig relevant information regarding owning/using some piece of gear - then the thing you should be regretful about isn’t selling per se, but the way of your own acting. But then again - not much to feel regret for: if latter is the case - it’d be smarter to just change your ways of acting to be more optimal, no?

In my entire life I never regretted selling something, because the decision to sale was always made in fullest possible consciousness, in front of my own mortality, so to say.

4 Likes

Ouch.

1 Like

Some things I regret selling off the top of my head:

EHX Guitar Synth 3osc rack prototype
Multimoog
Roland SH-09
Mike Score’s MKS-80 (with 80’s patches)
Realistic MG-1
Nord Lead 2 Rack (twice)
E-MU Emax 1 and 2 keys
Maestro phaser
Midiverb II

2 Likes

Was that one of those early 80s off-brand telecaster shaped ones?

Yea! The body was shaped like it was the bastard child of a tele and a mustang :smiley: I think it was from '81. Beautiful off-white colour with a white pickguard, black pickup covers and knobs, rosewood fretboard. Was a nice guitar.

1 Like

Seriously? How is this a productive contribution to the thread? It belittles others’ subjective experience, and their stations in life.

Congratulations. You’re perfect. Good for you.

18 Likes

I was just sharing a story dude. Was keen to see if anybody else might have experienced it.

6 Likes
  1. Vermona Retroverb Lancet - that box sounds sooo lovely. i’m gonna definitely buy it again at some point

2. i ALMOST sold my MDuw! :slight_smile: not sure if that counts but i’m still feeling bad for almost selling it lol

3 Likes

Confirmed robot on the board.

2 Likes

I was kinda basing my assumptions on the negative taste to a feeling of regret, and so I assumed that maybe majority of people would strive to minimize negative emotions in their lives. Hence what’s written. Pardon me if my assumptions were entirely wrong.

Peculiar fact: I can not beep beep by myself, so I use Elektron gear to beep it for me :smiley:

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like

Definitely my OT mk1 and TE OP-1… I miss both of them terribly. Getting an Op-1 again someday for sure

I definitely miss having the elektrons I no longer own. Usually it takes seeing others doing good things with them for me to miss the things I liked about them and ignore the things I did not.

But having a decent amount of Elektrons retained still keeps me occupied and satisfied enough to not buy a MM for the third time. :wink:

However, if a few grand fell out of the sky, and I wasn’t still unemployed, I’d spend it all on those old Elektrons I let go.

6 Likes

Some real good tools there. I can see why you feel that way.

That said, your portable MK1 Analog stack is a thing of envy. :slight_smile:

I dream of what it’d be like doing the same with my OT MK1 + A4 MK1. Just need to find an ultra low profile AC output battery to accommodate OT’s old, odd 6V needs.

2 Likes

You could always swap out out for MkII I suppose… at the expense of $ difference and matchy-ness :slight_smile:

1 Like

My tired eyes prefer the MK1 LED/Button separation.
Plus yea, Dieter Rams is kind of a hero in my book.

I had a MK2.
Regretted letting it go until I found I preferred the MK1. Go figure. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Regrets, I’ve had a few.

Juno 106, MKS-50, Alpha Juno 2, PG300 (I love me some Juno-esque sounds)
ESQ-1 (what a beast!)
Rytm mkI, Rytm mkI (Sold both. Wish I hadn’t. Want a Rytm mkII now)
Nord Lead 2x (bought a 2nd one though and not selling it.)
Digitone (Will buy another if the world’s economy doesn’t fall apart. Need to save money for tp and ramen noodles right now.)

5 Likes

I wonder if this is a reason why I really enjoy the Model line form factor and lay out. Much more spacious and not needing to use three screen so much…

1 Like

Back when eBay first started up, there were a wealth of people selling old snare drums that had no idea how valuable they were.

I got my hands on multiple rare badge ludwigs, gretchs, slingerlands, rogers, and even a pre WWI Leedy with cat gut snares.

All bought for between $40-$80, given a little love, and then sold for $250-$1100.

I was young and poor, so the money helped, but damn if I don’t regret not having an amazing vintage snare drum collection now.

7 Likes

The 4 pieces of gear I regret selling:

Minty Sequential Studio 440 - bought for $1000, sold for $1200
Roland TR808 - bought for $400, sold for $800
EMU SP1200 - bought for $1000, sold for $1200
Roland TR909 - bought for $1000, sold for about $1000

5 Likes