In the mix

I’m going through a midlife crisis and I’m after putting my cap on backwards and doing a few ambient mixes and wondered what software is good these days? I don’t mind spending a bit of brass, but I’m not too fussed about putting that much effort into it. I’ve used decks 30 years back but not got decks now (I actually fancy some before I die thou :slight_smile: ). I did spend a bit of time with Traktor around 20 years ago, (which I liked!) and prefer something that doesn’t rely on buying a controller but open to advice.

I might use the Octatrack for this but thought I’d see what people were using.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated! :grinning:

Pretty much all of it is good, very good, or great. Occasionally you will find some software that is bad, but with all the available reviews and videos online it should be easy to steer clear of those.

(Example - don’t buy any popular midi packs)

‘Making Ambient’ is a broad goal. I’m sure I could make fine ambient mixes with free apps on my phone only. I could definitely do it with intro Ableton or 8-track BitWig, with GarageBand, with a sampler app, etc.

If I didn’t mind spending a few shekels, I’d get one of the popular DAWs, wether an intro version or regular, and I would have more than enough tools to get going.

1 Like

Download Cockos Reaper and evaluate it for free for as long as you need to.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I have Ableton and Bitwig, so all good… although, thinking about it, I’m in that mindset of using something specifically designed for the job based on traditional mixing (so less of the hassle and a bit of fun). Something I can do on the headphones whilst my misses drinks gallons of wine in front of shite TV :grinning:

I’ve just seen there’s a free version of Traktor… might try that, or just use the Octatrack (which prob involves more effort) :grinning:

old but worth a watch if you wanna dj with ableton

2 Likes