Instant Sampling Plugin?

I’m looking for a plugin, a sampler, that works like this, with live audio going into it:

Hold down a key (on MIDI keyboard), it records whilst you hold the key.

You let go of the key.

You press the same key, and now you can play back the sample.

Controls for mangling/changing the sound would be good too, but the main thing is that it works quickly and easily like this, WITH NO DRAGGING AND DROPPING!

I think there is one called Instant Sampler (Muxer), this looks absolutely ideal. It’s free too.

However, I drag the Component file to the correct directory but the plugin never shows up.

I’m using Ableton Live 11 Suite, on an M1 Mac Mini. I’ve tried running Live in Rosetta mode, still not showing in the plugin list.

Can anyone suggest an alternative plugin or help get Instant Sampler working please?

I would look into Bomes Midi Translator.
That way you customize a key press and release for many plugins.

Not 100% but pretty sure Koala can work like this. It’s an iOS sampler but because you are using an m1 I’m pretty sure it’s compatible. It’s super cheap but loved by many for its ease, sound, and workflow. Might be worth a look…

Thanks for the idea, I know of Bomes, not used it yet. I’ll look at this route as a last resort, I already have a crazy amount of MIDI stuff happening :wink:

Ideally the plugin should just work in a simple way without MIDI trickery…

Hmmm, I’ll have to check if it runs on Mac.

I know Koala very well. I guess it’s simple enough.

One thing missing is being able to MIDI map the start and endpoints though.

This is something I’d like to have also, basically so I can do higher quality sampling with full polyphony to accompany an OT. I modified a script in Reaper that allows you to load an item on the timeline into an instance of Reasamplomatic5000 (Reaper’s stock sampler plugin) with a single keypress. I haven’t tried it yet but it should be possible to do something like what you describe with a combination of a macro + Realearn in Reaper.

I would say that’s even more reason to use Bomes, especially if a computer is involved.
Once you figure out how it works, it’s like midi magic.
You’re translating midi messages.
So any key press or knob turn, or key release becomes anything you want it to.
Super useful.
Also helps keep midi data cleaned up with multiple devices.

For quick sample manipulation I have my MIDI Fighter Twister setup to control a number of parameters for the currently selected track, so I can select different tracks with the sample FX chain and instantly tweak a particular sound. And the LED feedback on the MFT works great for this too.

Reaper + Realearn is the absolute best for this kind of custom stuff, it’s very powerful and relatively easy to set it all up.

1 Like

Would anyone with a Mac M1 be able to see if they can get Instant Sampler working?

There used to be a M4L device that made sampling dead easy.
I imagine it’s still on the Max For Live devices site.
There’s probably a few, and many for free.

Also, the Midi Fighter Twister is the best midi controller for sure.
For the exact reasons stated above.

Ta, that’s what I’m hoping too.

If you remember the name, let me know please!

I’ll have another look tomorrow anyway, getting late here.

If you have Reaktor check out BeatLookUp in the user library.
I’m pretty sure it does exactly what you’re after.

I doubt I’ll remember the name, but just a quick look on maxforlive.com and searching for “Samplers” I see a few promising things.
I’d just go there and look, download stuff and try it out.
You’re bound to find what you need.

not sure but maybe

https://www.birdsthings.com