Intellijel Cascadia

When I grow up I want to be Bicep

1 Like

^ link doesn’t seem to work on safari

Cascadia SH-101/Atlantis style demo

4 Likes

Very different, some similarities yes, but I think it borrows more for from the interface design particularly.

On the one hand, I’m grateful for more demo videos. This one was very cool. On the other, my first experience with a “Facebook Watch” video is that it doesn’t work in my preferred browser (probably due to my privacy settings), and it darkens the entire screen when you pause it, which makes it hard to stop and understand the patch. But I guess that’s probably some sort of FB anti-screenshot tech.

(Only complaining about it here b/c I assume the Intellijel folks are reading this thread. I look forward to seeing more of their content on YT.)

1 Like

You can remove the wood sides and underneath is still a side.

16 Likes

We had a very busy week! I have lot of other videos recorded that I will edit and post on Youtube this weekend. We have some examples of creating chords, percussion synthesis, Krell patches and some longer form explorations of basic patches and how to move beyond basic subtractive patches.

However, I always try to get some short clips up on IG/FB because it is really efficient.

21 Likes

How many units did you guys sell? It seems like a grand slam, everyone is talking about it. (Great job btw it sounds and looks beautiful)

2 Likes

Seriously: congrats. Came out of and went back over the left field wall. I hope it’s a huge success for you.

5 Likes

How come you didn’t put a basic sequencer on it?

I can’t speak for Intellijel but if I had to guess, a basic sequencer would add cost without much benefit. Their Metropolix sequencer is amazing but it’s a £600 module all on its own. Basic sequencers just tend to sit unused by most people I suspect and this isn’t really an entry level machine, it’ll be paired with other gear most of the time and sequencers are dime a dozen. The SH-4D seems to have this issue - it has a sequencer but by all accounts it’s not very good. Cascadia has full midi implementation so it feels like that’s the intended route.

That said, a companion device with a sequencer and capacitive keybed would be coooool, the keybed doubling up as a modulation/expressive surface to fill the lack of modwheel/joystick :heart_eyes:

Something a bit like the 0-Ctrl for the 0-Coast.

I’d call it the Casserole.

5 Likes

Thanks for dropping by here, and congrats on an awesome product launch.

I’m looking forward to adding a Cascadia next to my Mk1 Syntrx, as soon as the budget will allow.

3 Likes

We really carefully considered both a built-in sequencer and built-in fx. Either of these would have required a fair amount of additional panel space yet would still have been relatively simple in terms of features and UI elements. Also, we have found that when a device does have a simple sequencer and FX, this can often influence the user into only using the device a certain way. Cascadia was never intended to be a basic groovebox or basic monosynth, it is capable of so much more than this.
Instead, we made sure it had full midi implementation as well as convenient spots to patch in global CV/Gate/Trigger (top left of the device). There are already so many great external sequencers that can interface with Cascadia (including all the awesome Elektron gear!). Even the Korg SQ-1 is pretty sweet and that can be found for ~$100 in places. The Cascadia fx loop controls certainly occupy panel space but then you have the flexibility to patch in an almost infinite choice of guitar fx or even better, fx chains. We really love the idea that Cascadia finds its way into the heart of your desktop and is connected and interfaced to a bunch of your other gear.

@natehorn has picked up on some of this in his comments. A standalone sequencer/controller specifically for Cascadia would definitely be cool.

Side note: Intellijel are long-time fans/friends of Elektron and have been lurking on Elektronauts for many years (and use pretty much the entire lineup of hardware). One of the lead engineers, Mattias, even visited us in the very early days when intellijel was just in the basement of my house. We also had Dan Troberg and Devon visit a few years back at another former location.

50 Likes

Casserole confirmed

3 Likes

That’s a fine piece of gear. You guys are rocking it.
Applause (and welcome to the forum)!!!
I assume you are going to be at Superbooth?

1 Like

Yes I was just curious… if you do make a controller for it, put the casserole in a suitcase!! I want mine to go!!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

The lack of built-in sequencer and fx makes Cascadia all the more attractive. I can imagine it playing very nicely with Elektron boxes. If I wasn’t currently downsizing I’d be all over this, it’s so tempting. I can see myself finding space for it in the not too distant future. The sound and aesthetics are spot on.

3 Likes

I agree. Not including the sequencer, but including a capable MIDI interface, all the more reason it feels like Cascadia was designed just for me.

1 Like

For the record, I would have held you in contempt for adding speakers.

:wink:

Will that USB C port serve as a host and power a peripheral?

Cheers!

1 Like

I wish they didn’t make it Euro size. I get the reason, they likely can share a bunch of parts and what not. Euro is just too cramped for my liking. If it was similar to the size as the Cwejman it would be so much nicer to use.

2 Likes

Congrats on the release of a very cool instrument! Also, welcome to the forum, it is always nice to see the creators of great gear hang out around here.

1 Like