Intellijel Cascadia

Curious if you had any recommendations for a travel case for Cascadia with the 19inch rack ears with a lid… something similar to the performance case maybe? I am thinking it and my performance case will make a great match for live. Mine is currently held up in a distrobution center in LA but hopefully it will be in my hands by monday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where did you order from ? How long was the waitlist ?

I ordered direct from Intellijel before it changed over to saying preorder, not sure if there was a wait list at that point.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. This looks really very cool, but I’m worried I just wouldn’t enjoy «playing it» due to the density of functions. For comparison, the panel is about half the size of a Korg 2600m. The euro format is amazing in a lot of ways, but ergonomics is not one of them.

2 Likes

nice sounding synth, wish it was a bit bigger in size, this is eurorack form factor? but it is not terribly small. nice looking sinth too. anyway, this looks more interesting to me then 2600m or buchla easel. …
fx send return is great idea :bulb:

It is not no - it’s just made by a eurorack company - none of the sections conform to 3U or 1U standards.

How ergonomic a euro module is is up to the maker tbh - you can put as much or as little on a 3U panel as you like.

Intellijel stuff doesn’t tend to be fiddly (beyond 20mm faders which I’m not a fan of regardless), the Cascadia has 30mm faders though. If you can use the front panel of an Elektron device I don’t think this is likely to be an issue for you.

3 Likes

But it is very similar in size to a Palette case, but with even more intense utilization of the available space.

Yeah, to a certain extent, but the trend over the past few years in eurorack is to densify and make possible small systems with a lot of functionality. Although not euro, I see this as a continuation of that trend. Agree that it is nice with 30mm faders, but personally I wish they had made the while thing larger with 35mm faders like for example the SH101.

:slight_smile:

The difference with Euro is that you get to choose the modules you build your setup with.

Either way the front panel of an Elektron device is arguably more cramped than most of my Euro system so I think it’s a red herring for most.

I actually think a lot of effort has gone into making the Cascadia ergonomic, the placement of the jacks and the utilities will really help with cable management, as a semi-modular it has a really neat layout - arguably better than an Intellijel euro case which has the 1U at the top/bottom. This places most of the utilities in the middle which is where I wish my performance cases 1U row was, and the bottom sections orientation is flipped so you dont have cables in the way of the faders.

11 Likes

i dont know about that, elektron devices have encoders, mk2 encoders are just perfect, mk1 are ok too, i had malekko manther before, i didnt like the short faders and sold it. i replaced it with fs odyssey, that is how i imagen faders should be.

I think we’re drifting off course a bit - in terms of panel density, and how many controls there are - the bank of encoders on an Elektron box are tighter packed than pretty much any of my Euro modules, and I’ve literally never heard anyone complain about it.

I agree about short faders, I don’t like faders at all tbh but that’s a preference. I’m a knobs guy. But Cascadia has 30mm faders, the manther has 20mm faders, so these are 50% bigger than those.

1 Like

30mm isn’t bad than, odyssey fs is great but also not a desktop synth offcourse. 30mm could be best compromise

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure where these measurements come from though tbh because 20mm faders have longer throw than that, it’s more like 25mm imo - I was looking at my Mutable modules just now and getting a bit confused about it all :crazy_face:

This is my kind of fader

Sure, that was not really the point. Euro just feels like the most relevant reference point here given the manufacturer of this device. Many synth-things have gotten smaller, and it all creates the same kind of problems for us humans as our frames and hands remain on the same spectrum of sizes as before.

Personally, I would have been way more into this if the panel was twice the size.

I agree with this, the layout is smart, and it being semi-modular plus having all the patch points in the middle avoids the worst cable clutter problems. Still, if you look at the Mylar video, it looks pretty fiddly.

1 Like

Yea I guess it’s a trade off - ergonomics are always going to favour a bigger panel but then a lot of folks would struggle to fit it on their desk or find it hard to justify when they could have a keyboard poly synth take up the same amount of room. Will very much be personal taste but I think they’ve hit a good sweet spot with this one imo.

3 Likes

It “holds your beer”. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, always a set of compromises behind any design. And I do get that people are tight on space these days, and thus find compact and feature-rich instruments particularly appealing. I recently ran into a decently priced SH101, and although it sounds great, clearly some of the magic is in the interface itself and how it invites continuous play with its limited set of features.

1 Like

This is the key to hardware IMO - it’s never really about the sound it makes because you can make all the sounds on a computer (even rich saturated analog ones, at least to my inferior ears) - but it’s often in the limitations and affordances that the magic comes out. With the SH101 that mod stick thing is fairly critical for a lot of the sounds you hear from it, and I’m reminded of the crossfader on the OT - it leads to a path that simply wouldn’t be trodden if it weren’t there.

3 Likes

I just found this on YT. I love this synth’s voice.

8 Likes

not exactly the most exciting demo but it does a good job of showing the range of percussion synthesis you can pull from it… pair it up with a sampler and make a huge kit. The FM percussion at the end is really excellent imo.

6 Likes

did a little demo of my first patch on it, sequenced from the lem218

11 Likes