Intellijel Cascadia

I don’t recognize them but those cables look cool on it. Also, the bass that comes in at around 2:00 – :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice sounds! I like this little box.

2 Likes

They are the Modbang cables, they actually make slimmer ones now that I was thinking of getting some of, I ordered a pretty big batch from them at one point (I think like 50 cables) and they accidently sent a bunch of non-right angle cables and told me to keep them and sent me the correct cables… so I have a ton of them now.

2 Likes

Anyone get theirs from Perfect Circuit yet? (I’m Jonesin!)

1 Like

hope it makes it to you soon, I want more people to talk about how dang amazing this it is :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

a little pay around with it in a mix, using VCA/VCF2 to smooth out octave switching or extreme resonances is super fun. Also using it to dial back stuff so you can then drive it harder into the soft clip before the output.

7 Likes

I’ve had this nutty idea of trading in my eurorack for a Cascadia and a Minifreak, which I think could be good friends. It feels a bit bold though and I couldn’t justify just adding gear, I’d be selling stuff. I’d come away with change in my pocket but I’m not sure it’s a sensible plan - am I being insane?? This might be a GAS-based cry for help.

7 Likes

I’d wait a bit to see if the GAS subsides…but you’re not ailing alone. I think there is something to be said for having a single-unit/manufacturer instrument - like the 2600, Buchla, Serge panel etc - that makes it conducive to creativity: maybe its the consistent design language that doesn’t interrupt the groove; maybe it’s just the symmetry and cleanliness of the thing that doesn’t make it feel like patchwork blocks. Whatever it is, I had the thought too. I’ll wait it out a bit though. And honestly one wouldn’t be missing much in the way of modular tools with the Cascadia (except, ofc, a sequencer)

6 Likes

Yeah this is how I’m thinking. Even owning a tiny few modules I still find myself heading down rabbit holes about all different combos etc. I’m definitely seeing the attraction of this or the 2600 etc.

1 Like

Cascadia is super fun but it’s also hard to image it replacing a custom rack… lots of avenues to explore on it though.

2 Likes

The minifreak would be doing some of that heavy lifting :slight_smile: Especially as the Virt Iter Legio is part of my rack, the freak has all those algos but it’s poly! The biggest change would be losing the effects on my rack, but I go through phases of using them in a fairly utilitarian way and I could run the Cascadia into the freak for that purpose. I wouldn’t lose a great deal but I would gain some cohesion - the freak is an important aspect of that equation though and is obviously a very different angle, I am comparing apples to pears …

it’s a tough call really… there’s no way i could replace my shapeshifter or plaits with the sound potentials of cascadia. x10 if you’re into harvestman or some of the more abstract corners of modular. it sounds amazing but i’d rather add an atlantis to my setup and call it a day. and what sequencer/controller to pair with it? the 218 with the easel totally makes it the instrument it is. either you’re set on something or it’s back to modulargrid

the serge panel is a good comparison but even that has great and elegant options to pair with the tkb or programmer panel. hopefully intellijel makes something specific for cascadia with their amazing lineup of controllers!

1 Like

I sequence with my OT, that wouldn’t change. My plaits doesn’t do anything that the Minifreak can’t - in fact I don’t really value my plaits all the much tbh. It normally just gets used as a dual oscillator I often swap it out for my Erebus. I don’t have 11 voices though and couldn’t make use of them if I did haha.

For context I have a 104hp performance case with 3 voices, I’m not talking about replacing a wall of modular :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You could always get a 218 to go with cascadia :sweat_smile:, but yeah I’m all for intellijel doing there own take on a controller for it, the midi implementation is nice though velocity is pre routed to a switch so you can have it effect the amount or timing of the envelope, there are enough no brainer things pre routed and some I wouldn’t have really thought of that guide you in interesting directions. I’d say it lands something like 60% westcoast 40% eastcoast in how the design feels like it guides you, the bog standard if you touched the minimum amount of sliders to get a sound is yes essentially a subtractive sh101 or Atlantis type sound but you have linear fm right there, you have a wavefolder ready to layer in, you have a ringmod to add in a touch of chaos… it doesn’t take much patching to get deeper and find some interesting feedback methods, all the soft clipping through out the system is great and easy to monitor on the LEDs. I dunno so far I would say it stands side by syntrx and easel command, so far I think I find it preferable to either, I need more time for the initial hype of getting it wears off but could see it being my favorite mono synth.

6 Likes

Not that nutty really. Single mfg systems have lots of advantages. Plus it’s nicely self contained. David and Danjel do excellent work too. This even has me a bit gassy :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I ever reach the “f*** it i’m selling all my eurorack” stage I plan on keeping basically just metropolix, assimil8r, some filters, a mixer, and then picking up a cascadia and using it to sample into the assimil8r for all my sounds.

Not really close to that point though, still too addicted to building my own systems :smiley:

I’m definitely gassing for cascadia but I just know it’ll actually end up being a big chore to integrate it into the rest of my system just because I don’t really have a place to put it that would make patching it with my eurorack convenient. A pure semi modular setup would be a blast i’m sure though, lots of options now. Cascadia + 0-coast/0-ctrl + dfam and something like the oxi to sequence them would be much fun.

3 Likes

You’re killing me, lol. I can’t wait for mine to arrive.

I’m really thinking about either a Syntrx or a Cascadia as my next major purchase, so I’m curious to see what you think after the honeymoon phase!

1 Like

You could keep like 40 or 60hp if you found there was something massively missing from the Cascadia :innocent:

Bit of a tricky one because I’d be starting to look at things like the Pro 3 if having loads of coherent options in one instrument is the goal.

I kind of like the idea of having an all in one solution like this. I would keep a small rack with sequencer and fx to support it. This might be the gassiest product so far this year!

1 Like