Intellijel Cascadia

I figured a quantized V/oct source would be an easy fix. Next up are a few basic scales, since chromatic isn’t quite enough.

3 Likes

I had the same thought, I am interested in hearing something more unusual from this instrument. Its capabilities seem very theoretical at the moment.

2 Likes

I heard about the concept of self indulgent modular noise,
Is this it? Am I on the right path? I feel slightly ashamed :laughing:

12 Likes

I feel like it’s very easy to get wild sounds out of it. You feel accomplished when you tame it a bit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsFeOzqLWju/?hl=en

^ short workout here.

2 Likes

Do you use it to make SH-101 leads ?

you totally can. way easier on a 101 though, lol.

2 Likes

Didn’t get the camera out but was doing some experiments on how to get a more full groove going on the Cascadia with the 0-ctrl… using 2 of the steps gates to the ring mod to open it and let the noise through and using the strength gate output to open the fold with the sub osc going to it. The filter is set up with bandpass going into VCA A and then fed into VCA B/filter B along side the main output, filters HP4 output is also sent to main 2 so you can hear the hat type sound more clearly (you need to turn down filter volume to totally shut sound when set this way). Anyways various modulations are piped around, thought it was a fun patch.

10 Likes

interesting for sure…is this a single patch straight out or is it multitracked or with external effects or something?

Single patch live, there is a little delay on it though

3 Likes

I really like the digital envelopes on this thing. I only really have experience with the function generators on the VRL , maths, (the eg section of Intellijel Atlantis), and MI Stages.

I’m guessing Envelope B is based in part on the Quadrax.

1 Like

very nice! i really enjoyed the sounds in there no matter, just was curious as it was even more full than expected…i imagine there’s going to be lots of cool stuff coming out of this machine as it starts getting out into the world. hope you post more with it :ear:

1 Like

I finally got my Cascadia on Friday but have just had a little time to play with it. The build quality is very, very good. I’ve got a lot of Intellijel Euro modules and this is very much on a different level in terms of the quality of the pots and sliders. It’s a little tank of an instrument.

I’m definitely going to need to RTFM on this one. The layout isn’t very linear, left to right, so I’m less than competent on navigating it at the moment, but still having a blast figuring it out.

My first learning session I’m using Fors Roulette to sequence Cascadia, which keeps the sequence interesting. I love the tonality of the instrument. Whoever kept suggesting the sound was “clean” in earlier posts clearly hadn’t spent any time with it. One of my favorite things about it so far is how beautifully the various sections allow for being overdriven.

If anyone is looking for a simple stand that works well with Cascadia, I bought this to check out and it’s a great fit. It’s very stable. Amazon.es

Lastly, I’d be wondering about a Decksaver and bag and just checked the Intellijel forum. It looks like they’re working on it: Intellijel Cascadia — Advanced, Performance-Oriented, Semi-Modular Synthesizer - #13 by Danjel - Announcements - Intellijel Forum

6 Likes

Thanks for this review, I have some of the component Intellijel modules and was really curious about the build quality. In particular, euro sliders can be finicky and though I love the sound of my Atlantis, dialing in envelope and modulation can be a little fussy

Would love to hear some recordings if you could be bothered :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sliders feel much sturdier than those on the Atlantis to me. They seem to have less play side to side. They feel very nice.

I’ll work on the recording side of things. When I start noodling with things I inevitably just start writing and seeing what happens. At the moment there’s a little jam coming together. I may end up just posting the individual solo’d recordings of the Cascadia and then the larger setting. It may take a bit, but I’ll try and get it done sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/kPmy2Wk5-Ok

Some moody dark acid.
(Syntakt on drums)

16 Likes

Thank you, may I have another?

2 Likes

That’s good to hear actually - I think I mentioned upthread that I’ve never been super impressed with the pots they use - it’s something that put me off this beast a little - so that would ease my apprehension if I come to ordering one at some point :ok_hand:

1 Like

All the pots and sliders are very sturdy. LEDs aren’t too dim or too bright.

The noise floor is extremely low.

It’s a fantastic little beast.

6 Likes

Yeah the LEDs are actually a fantastic readouts I find… actually in general more useful than like the syntrx VU meter, lets you ride that edge of softclipping really easily, especially with so many points where you could potentially be clipping getting LED readouts. Hard to imagine it really being built any better.

5 Likes

What are u using to sequence here?

1 Like