Interview

German hipsters rock beards. And moustaches! And tattoos! And piercings!

Very curious to hear how it went. I hope you get to the next step!

1 Like

scheduling another interview so it went well!

38 Likes

With or without beard? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Musik ist der Spiegel der Wirklichkeit.” (Marx)

2 Likes

good luck!!!

I’m gonna guess I’m onto something here about interviews, but apparently I was the only person my boss wanted, and it was a “don’t ask that’s final” decision.
Since starting, so many people have told me that I talk in exactly the same manner as my boss and that I explain things the same way he does. So I’m guessing that “imitation is the best flattery” woks sometimes.

I wish you the best of luck!
I don’t think you should ever worry about your beard.
I don’t even know you and I love your beard.
What you do with your face should only be upto you when and however you decide.
If someone rejected me because of my facial hair I would have a hard time not judging that person or company as being total asswads regardless of who they were or what culture or anything else for that matter.
To know that this shit is still a thing in society is heartbreaking.

Congrats!

I’d think about the consequences of telling us lot whether you got the job: an inbox full of feature requests and bug reports. :slight_smile:

Godspeed!!

As a beard monger since about 2000 or something, I’ve attended many hundreds of interviews in a high state of beardedness. The beard has never been a problem. At least, it’s always been less of a problem than my personality.

5 Likes

I feel seen. I have a long history of car crash interviews, with and without facial hair.

Best of luck with the second interview!

1 Like

Covid changed everything :wink:

Several German colleagues now support Robinson Crusoe facial arrangements now that we’re kinda back in the office. I’ve had one for years.

Don’t worry about it.

Shave the beard or keep it as-is but an over groomed beard is just icky unless you want Peter Marino vibes.

1 Like

For whatever it’s worth, the last time I had a job interview I showed up looking like Billy gibbons and didn’t even get a weird look. Granted I’m in a different line of work but the boss is super clean cut. A rational business owner is looking for someone who is going to make them money first and foremost.

The guy that popped up onscreen had on backwards baseball cap, T-shirt, and was rocking a beard. I trimmed it up. It was all good. The reason I asked here is because it’s always been a helpful safe space and back in 2007-2010 I worked for another German company (Meinl) and they were always super clean cut and freaked out by the U.S. office guys’ beards. The U.S. office was in East Nashville which is hipster city so everybody had one. So for this particular job I can work from home but at this point in my life I’ll move to Germany (I frickin love it over there) or anywhere else they need me to. It has nothing to do with the actual software but pertains to tax laws, etc. and an overseas company doing business in the U.S. I’m not a lawyer but I do have a law degree and that was one of the qualifications so I went for it. Seems like a good company- like they take care of their own and want people to stick around. I’m trying to get out of education- the politicians and bureaucrats have ruined it beyond repair and after Covid the kids are worse than ever. It’s like they’re feral.

7 Likes

So stoked you have a second interview. Good luck on the next one! :metal:t2:

That… is fucking heavy, right there.
I wish you all the luck, new directions are good.