Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

A lot of the negative reactions on here to this announcement are really bothering me. If you are an MK1 user (I am, I’ve owned every electron non-keyboard box other than the Digitakt), you had a great synth/drum machine yesterday, and today you still have a great synth drum/machine. Nothing has changed for you. The only difference is that you read something on the news/internet.

Elektron never promised us free software upgrades and new features for life. It’s not in the contract. In fact, as a long time Elektron customer I always wondered how they financed this kind of ongoing development, especially as more and more boxes are out in the wild and purchased by secondhand users.

The fact that now you actually have to pay for Overbridge makes total sense to me - I develop software for a living, and it is EXPENSIVE. People who write code are smart, and they need pretty good salaries and interesting projects to stay interested. What the complainers fail to realize is that when they pay for software, that funds the development of newer, better software (and hardware). Or even just software that continues to work with upgraded OS’s. If the software never has a charge associated with it, that cost will just get passed on to hardware purchasers, who may or may not use the software. Businesses have to at least break even to stay in business - Elektron is not a charity or a governmental program.

Now we have new models released, which address many of the complaints that users have had about the MK1 models. How is that a bad thing? Musical instruments are tools, not investment vehicles. Come on - Individual outs for the A4, balanced ins and outs for the Rytm, SAMPLING, OLED, an end to the infernal mess of splitter cables, full Overbridge streaming for every channel, an angled surface so you don’t have to buy aftermarket end cheeks or cases… How this could be anything but great news for Elektron users is beyond me. So, you might have to sell your old unit and invest a bit of change to get the new features. So, they’re kind of ugly compared to the old units. These are minor issues when compared to the fact that Elektron is listening to its users and attempting to give them the ultimate instruments that we’ve been asking them to make for years. Take a deep breath everybody.

45 Likes

Holy cow!

That said, what’s the deal with these two newer machines getting amazing upgrades, while the older Octatrack (arguably their machine most in need of a refresh) gets nothing but a new lick of paint? This seems to confirm that the OT software has been essentially abandoned, which is quite sad.

7 Likes

Also - Ableton makes it’s money through software licenses, not hardware sales. The hardware is a means for people to buy more software - I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a loss leader and they don’t make any profit at all on Push sales. It’s not accurate or relevant to compare the Push trade in program with Elektron’s hardware release model.

4 Likes

I’m kind of pissed because the only thing that makes me want to upgrade now is the live sampling. And I never understood why the Mk1 couldn’t sample. It has an input! I can live without the new lcd/buttons/faceplate. Cmon’s Elektron, update the Mk1 to allow us to sample. It really sux to have a machine for 1 yr be already obsolete.

2 Likes

The legacy silver machines are still as relevant as ever, even the first mk1 machinedrum. Cant see myself swapping out the black series for these, though i will be waiting to see how the new a4 sounds in the flesh.

As for knickers twisting over devalued music gear, its been said before, and i strongly agree, that the use and pleasure you get from something is worth way more in the long run that the money you loose.

Kudos for the new styling. Looks great. No mounting holes for racks though? Maybe VESA mounts underneath?

5 Likes

thats exactly what i thought. elektron better bring something to existing rytm mk1 users!

1 Like

the elektron box form factor has been the same AFAIK until now… how u rack these? or transport these?

not everyone needs or cares for a tilt stand

sample backup and transferring from the new machines has not been fully disclosed. It has been suggested that this will be done via ob… So is it ob or ob premium that is required?

these are my biggest points of criticism

It was not just a trade-in program. Ableton refurbished the original Push and donated them to schools. I think (hope) most people were excited about that. Not just the discount. Imagine having Elektron gear to play with in music class.

3 Likes

I think they realized they can’t have their developers be bogged down fixing Overbridge problems at the expensive of OS updates, especially when we have so many products now. The extra money is probably to pay for a developer or 2 to be on OB fulltime. Just a hunch

I’m kind of relieved that these new machines are just (very nice) refreshes as opposed to brand new machines, they do not have anything that I need right now - although I also said that about DT!

The Rytm is the most tempting due to the sampling (which really should have been in the mk1 anyway) but I prefer the look of the black machines for some reason, if the mk2 had battery power and larger storage it would be harder for me to resist, so I might have to wait for mk3 :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

yap. until the mk3 version comes out in mid 2018 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
seriously though, why isn’t this standard on the Rytm? other than the fact that they don’t it stepping over the other devices

1 Like

Sampling on a device that doesn’t have proper filesystem access… or ext card or usb i/o Not ideal IMO

5 Likes

No. I am pointing out what Elektron describes. You can take your dispute to Elektron.

I’ve been thinking of selling my Rytm for a Digitakt because the lack of sampling and the awful pads on the Rytm are a hindrance to my workflow. Still planning on going that route but this isn’t going to help the selling process.

I’m wondering if I should just wait for DT mk2 though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I bought my a4 literally 2 days before octatrack mkII came out for the old price. From that moment I was sure an update for a4 would be coming soon but i took mine to another country so i couldnt return it.

I’m trying hard to get over having paid the full price and missing the new version which i would definitely have prefered. But in the end mkI doesnt stop being a very capable machine and… ah who ffs am i trying to fool… i wanna cry over this so badly… i didnt know buyers remorse mixed up with gas could feel so horrible… i’m pathetic…

5 Likes

Yes, the Push trade-in was a great program. I participated in it, and was definitely excited about Ableton donating the units to schools. The point I’m trying to make is that Ableton’s business model makes a program like that possible and even potentially profitable (all those kids grow up and start using Ableton as their main DAW), whereas Elektron’s business model (and most likely employee count/structure) doesn’t really have room for it.

4 Likes

My brand new A4 arrived yesterday, but after a wobble I’ve decided it’s not worth returning it because the price difference between what I paid (£788) and the MKii price (£1279) just isn’t worth it. I am at peace.

5 Likes

Same boat. I wanted to sell my a4 cause it just doesn’t fit into my setup. Should’ve acted faster on that. It’s not the end of the world though

I sold my A4 last week after OTmk2 was announced. I was hoping mk2 would include MIDI sequencing but as it is still not included, I guess I’ll be living without an Elektron for a while.

1 Like

If the rytm mk2 samples in stereo the DT goes to the grave

1 Like