Introducing Artcore - a new home for electronic music

@orbita thanks for the quick reply - I meant upload flac files as they are smaller.
The music is just long form electronic, the 20 minute track made up of 4 or 5 sections that flow together. It’s here on bandcamp (am I allowed to link??) The Eternal Now | Lightform
I did split it out for other streaming platforms, but prefer the segued version.

Ah - I see - It could be a good way to improve upload times but might make the processing side heavier. Would be interesting to see if anyone else requests it too if many people use flac for storing their track masters. I’ll explore the possibility anyway.

In the meantime, I’ve just bumped the max file size up to 400mb so you should be able to upload those tracks now. Maybe do 1 at a time though :wink:

Cheers!

Appreciate if people can follow on insta too - https://www.instagram.com/artcore_com/ too. I’ll be posting new artists welcomes there.

do you offer any kind of copyright protection?

I like that Fuck Rock category!

9 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try

Hi @phaelam.

Good question. No, Not in the traditional sense. Just as with Bandcamp and Beatport, all purchased downloads are free of any DRM. I’ve looked into watermarking but it’s known to affect the sound quality noticeably and I think DRM has mostly had it’s day. It doesn’t encourage people to purchase.

In terms of the previews, I embed an audio overlay on the tracks that reads out the name of the artist and track. So you wouldn’t really want to download that - and certainly not play it out at a club!

I thought this was better than Bandcamp’s limited number of listens or Beatports short preview window as it allows you to listen to the whole track to decide if you want to buy it.

On bandcamp, it’s also possible to download tracks for free if you know how to use the browser inspector. So the embeded voice addresses that too.

Is DRM something you would want as an artist?

3 Likes

LOL - Maybe I should leave it and see what tracks end up in there!

1 Like

Good idea.

Can I recommend you keep an umbrella genre, like just “House” in case it doesn’t qualify for the subgenre?

I’ve been wondering about that.

Currently, the “house” genre is the parent and will show all the sub-genres…

So if a track doesn’t sit in a sub-genre, I have a few choices I could offer:

• create new sub genres on request (likely to get out of hand)
  • allow to put the track in parent genre
  • allow to put it in an “other” sub-genre like “house_other”
  • rename house to house_all and have house as a sub-genre under house_all

House (all) house (includes all sub house genres)

House (all) house_all (includes all sub genres)

Thoughts?

I think this is logical.

But also allow all sub genres be searchable under just the parent tag, and this should be for any other parent genre, like rock.

The 2nd part is already done. In fact it even works properly in the search aggregation drop-downs (which was not trivial to figure out) And you can also select multiple genres in search! Beatport can’t do either of those! :wink:

My only concern with tracks being added to parent genre is they might end up a bit unloved once the sub-genre pages evolve further as things like charts or best-of sub-genre appear.

Maybe house can be it’s own sub-genre to house… hmm I think that could work…

I’ll figure something out.

these days I come across lots of things which take me down those lanes…

1 Like

For uploading, a generic house label has value for me. Same for DnB, verses Liquid DnB. I’m not always sure what I’m producing, since I’m just making whatever sounds good.

But for searching the same terms, I’m not sure since I’m not a programmer.

Hope you understand what I mean.

2 Likes

Any plans on merch and what kind of cut you will take on merch sales if implemented? I’ve found bandcamp is pretty fair with 10% and they withhold taking a cut until some digital copies sell to help supplement costs going into merch. Also maybe worth noting bandcamp goes to 10% cut overall once you reach 5k in sales. Which is a 500$ dollar difference to a 20% cut on the next 5k. I’m not saying your features or whatnot aren’t worth the 20% as I haven’t tried it out, and more choice to where to put music is great… but if your just squeaking by as an artist long term those 5% - 10% differences add up to quite a sum.

1 Like

Anything can be a hyper-niche genre of music these days, though.

I had the same thought with Funk (which you kindly added): I would have set « Funk » only for my song. I don’t really know in what sub genre it would fit…

I just experience the overlay… A comment, is that I appreciate Bandcamp for the ease of listening to music from beginning to end, no overlay, no ad etc…

Maybe your idea is different. I am not afraid that somebody steals my music on Bandcamp, and I can limit the amount of free listening (which I don’t really). Bandcamp is the place, for these reasons of “free to listen”, where I actually bought the most music.

Is you plan to push sales and limit the wish to just enjoy listening? I’m just curious about the thinking.

3 Likes

I agree. I would make it as enjoyable of a listening experience as possible. Most of the sales are going to be to supporting the artist, not a functional sales driven marketed label experience. If someone “steals” our track, it would be more a net positive in terms of exposure.

2 Likes