Introducing: Digitone Keys

I noticed those too.
Ask Elekrton, i bet they could be had for a minor amount of money.

1 Like

If they made it like analog keys including a joystick, maybe multiple screens of DN, maybe a ribbon controller, audio input through filter, midi arp and random arp, patch morpher etc it would be a hit! Within a few years you can buy one for 650euros on the second hand market!

1 Like

Hell, entire genres have been birthed out of a single pattern or two.

5 Likes

oh I totally agree. I posted the 700s just to be silly. itā€™s an AWESOME synth, as I think the SFX6 is, and the DK looks to be!

1 Like

What did you work on ? ā€“ that is if itā€™s OK with Elektron to say.

1 Like

The arrangement of the wheels may not make sense for keyboard players (and with just 37 keys its clearly not that great for keyboard players at all), but when you see the wheels as freely assignable controls to be used when operating the middle part with your right hand it makes a lot sense.

And the price? Well, that will come down for sure in a few months.

1 Like

Every time new gear comes out I question my own abilities, how much Iā€™ve been practicing, and then watch some old DubFX, like Made, and move on.

The ONLY reason this bothers me is because I just got a Digitone (albeit at the aforementioned, very very good price) and would prefer one with a keyboard, but it is what it is. I have 3 pieces of gear (Eurorack=1 piece and I only have a few modules that barely make up an ā€œentireā€ synth).

Bottom line, is it necessary? Or is the bottleneck self-induced?

1 Like

I only worked on a few patches. Marked with ā€œFPā€ at the end of the patchname.

2 Likes

It wouldā€™ve been nice to have an 8 track 16 voice Digitone with dedicated knobs. I wouldā€™ve also loved a Digitone/Digitakt hybrid. Basically this personā€™s setup, but fused for internal routing.

12 Likes

Many seem to be hung up on the lack of song modes on these devices. Iā€™m assuming most people record into a daw, so there is your song mode right there! Just record the tracks and arrange. Switch patterns on the fly! Mute / Un mute for variation. Me personally, I have a Machinedrum and Iā€™ve only used itā€™s song mode for 1 project. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Song mode is most useful, IMO, for people that like to compose, as well as people that play a separate instrument and donā€™t focus on altering parameters or manually changing sequences of preprogrammed material while performing.

I like to do both, compose and play my guitar. Itā€™s really a hassle if I didnā€™t own an Octatrack.

3 Likes

and it wouldnt be that much more expensive with that setup.

Perfect Circuit ! Nice sounds !

5 Likes

I think it look kewl!

Thatā€™s a pic of my old setup hah. Somehow after many changes, like A4, Dominion 1 and Virus B, I ended up with exactly the same setup plus an eurorack skiff. Iā€™m not using the stands anymore because I merged my desks.

EDIT: After watching the trailers I was expecting one device that merged those 3. Maybe next year :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I really wish the original digitone had four stereo outs! /:

1 Like

What would be really cool is if the separate outs were TRS inserts (like on older E-MU units) that allowed the audio to come back in and mixed together in the main outputsā€¦ would be a great mixerless setup for live.

2 Likes

The keys has 4 sets of stereo outputs allowing us to effect each channel with our own signal chain. A single OT has 2 sets of stereo inputs, so if I had 2 OTs and this, I could get mad freaky with live processingā€¦

8 Likes

Me tooā€¦ Itā€™s not ideal but at least with OB we can route the outs through VSTsā€¦ :confused:

That would be rad but I wouldnā€™t pay twice the price for it

DN keys looks nice, little disappointed it doesnā€™t really add anything. Hoped it would be an overpowered/unrestricted DN. With the AK being a less popular unit and the MnM being a small run itā€™s certainly the last thing I expected. Well, in this format at least. Adding some stuff just would have made sense.

2 Likes