Introducing Octatrack MKII

8 Likes

The OS updates for MD and MM after the Mk 2 hardware releases applied to both hardware revisions. The main features added were:

• support for +Drive,
  • CTR machines for master effects on MD, - improved support for the Turbo MIDI control,
  • some additional tempo multipliers, and
  • phaser and flanger on MM.

The only Mk 2-only improvement was the option to change the knob resolution.

I donā€™t anticipate any new OS features for OT except those necessary to deal with the new mechanical configuration of the Mk 2 hardware. Bug fixes would be nice.

6 Likes

Meanwhile at Elektron HQā€¦

3 Likes

Precisely @Elektron

Weā€™re definitely going to see similar makeovers for the A4 and RYTM sometime soon I think. It makes zero sense to have to keep producing the bodies for those old boxes, circle buttons, and order a bunch more of those inferior tiny LCD displays.

1 Like

And Jon, I must give you credit for standing ground. You told me years ago OB wouldnā€™t be coming to the OT. The ā€œwhyā€-part was clear back then (no usb audio interface).
But it isnā€™t now: why would Elektron design an enhanced OT MK-ii (it looks fantastic of course_ with an enhanced screen (thatā€™s still hardware) but without a usb audio interface / OB.

Please donā€™t get me wrong: I love Elektron and the Elektron way since years. I just donā€™t understand why you donā€™t want OB enabled on a fantastic device as the OT.
The use case is trivial, Iā€™m surely not being rude for asking why no OB support?

1 Like

Theyā€™ve released the hardware specs.

Of course not, thatā€™s a feature set.
ā€œ1 Ɨ USB 2.0 High Speed portā€ doesnā€™t specify whether it does or does not include an audio interface

Fifty shades of Elektron!
:cheeky:

7 Likes

Yup!

2 Likes

Really ? Time flies by.

Ummmmā€¦before we go there (MKII requests), how about we address a tune-up to MKI?

Iā€™ve written novellas on numerous occasions to support about gettinā€™ some much needed love in the ballpark of bugs that have been compiled by all of you lovely folks.

2 Likes

DT = ā€˜simplifiedā€™ purely via ommisions.
OT mkii = not taking the huge opportunity to significantly refine/expand on 7 year old ideas/cpu etc.

Thereā€™s a visible lack of ambition in the sampler dpt at Elektron in recent times :frowning: Where are the dudes that coded OT originally? Guessing there must be something more interesting in the works that those guys are busy challenging themselves on?

I ā€˜getā€™ the DT/MKii reasoning/motives but itā€™s still a bummer for anyone assuming that at least one of these two sampler releases would be reminiscent of Elektron of old in terms of wow factor/progression. Lesson learned. Every empire falls and all that jazzā€¦

6 Likes

guys guysā€¦
think it it this way: theyā€™ll probably getting parts from a new supplier, and/or maybe they donā€™t make the old ones anymoreā€¦ if this parts are better, and they are already making them for the Digitakt (and future new machines, I assume :wink: ) why not update the Octatrack too?
they couldā€™ve just changed the parts and not even add the extra buttons, wich I think would really improve the workflow (the edit recording button, in my case, I would love to have)ā€¦ so it kinda makes sense. Maybe theyā€™ll make OT2 one dayā€¦ this doesnā€™t mean they wonā€™t. But they never hinted at it eitherā€¦ I think.
I, for once, had been rediscovering the Octa this last few weeks, after a few months of not using it much - and G.A.S.ing a lot over the MPC Live (wich I ultimately discarded - for a DAW in a box, Iā€™ll rather dive deeper into the computer, or get a good controller for a lot less money) and the Digitakt (wich I still kinda want :P) so Iā€™m happy that I have it, and that thereā€™s still many features that, although I know pretty well, I could take more advantage of/dig deeper into.

2 Likes

I like the new encoders.
Would be nice if they would introduce midi over USB in next update which would be a nice addition to MK1 as well. No midi over usb in 2017 is pretty weird.
But now I have the leverage to get the price down from the OT i purchased yesterday. If they donā€™t budge Iā€™ll probably return it. Not that I need to but new hardware means potential longer longevity and resale value.

One thing that would be helpful since every forum is drowning in semi-factual news and wild speculation would be for an official Elektron FAQ type list when they are ready addressing all the common questions in one spot.

Even if the answers are generally known, to have them collected would be very useful.

Such as:
Overbridge support?
Additional fx?
Conditional trigs?
Same screen layout/indicators?
Open MkI bug fixes?
Pickup machines slave to incoming clock?
Backward compatibility OS updates or only MkII updates?
Etc

2 Likes

I was of course only joking

Nothing new of interest has been added

For the most part the feature requests from the old Octatrack Feature Request Thread still apply here

I will have to take my shattered hopes and dreams elsewhere

1 Like

The lack of OB has at least helped to make a decision for me.

My rig is a mix of hardware and Ableton. Overbridge is an absolute killer feature on the A4/RYTM for me.

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting an OT for a while, but was hanging out for a Mk2 with OB before I pulled the plug. Now though, that interest has waned and it seems like Iā€™d be better off putting that ā‚¬1300 into my next laptop upgrade and let Ableton do all the digital/sampling side of thingsā€¦

1 Like

Because they want to keep OT as the platform it already is and release new products where the exciting new features are implemented to drive sales. The reason for not being forthright with their plans during DT release was to maximize profit by preorders from DT sales and by pushing remaining mk1ā€™s in the period between the DT release and mk2 announcement to unknowingly fools. When almost all mk1ā€™s are gone the old guts can be repackaged and sold in a shiny new package, with a price bump of course. Win win win and winā€¦ and me lose.

OK, youā€™re right. Be strange to implement a USB audio interface but shut down the possibility of OB in the future, having established the key prerequisite.

But by all means live in hope :slight_smile: