Introducing Octatrack MKII

You can add Trig Conditions to that list

If that was the only new thing that got added, I’m sure it would be enough to get a lot of Mk1 owners to consider this

As it is… nah

2 Likes

I know you were - I sensed a primo opportunity to get plug in for the MKI :slight_smile:

Function + _______ for life!

Did you even read this thread?

It’s only a missed opportunity if they had the opportunity, and they missed it (obviously). What everyone seems to be assuming is that in doing this facelift they had the opportunity to do the more serious upgrades at the same time. That isn’t necessarily the case. For all I know, the facelift and the serious upgrades are two entirely different jobs, taking very different amounts of time and money. So it seems very plausible to me that the facelift job does not amount to an opportunity to do more serious upgrades.

5 Likes

Sure, and tomorrow there will be another 200+ posts added that we would have to sift through looking for real info from real Elektron employees.

So far, I have not seen definitive answers to many of my questions. Speculation, general hand waving, sure, but no definitive info.

As an owner of two OTs, I have a vested interest in any updates to the OS.

3 Likes

They can’t implement MIDI over USB for the same reasons they can’t implement OB.

The USB in OT is device-only (like external drives), the hosting is done by the computer.

Deja vu… i moaned about this on here when OB came out for A4 and not OT… haha. Well. Maybe next time.

1 Like

The announcement was a matter of hours ago. If you’re that desperate for immediate answers then trawl through the thread. If you’re not, then wait and I’m sure a summary will emerge.

Man! That comment makes me wish I hadn’t run out of likes :frowning:

Beautiful!

Also in regards to MKII improvements, what about the extra engines in the MnM MKII? How did that come about? You reckon there might be any similar thing that might happen for the OT?

Granular machine? Poly Machine, perhaps? @Callofthevoid

1 Like

I know some people think all this speculation is unhealthy but I actually think it’s a good idea because Elektron can read these threads and say: ‘Ah…So this is what our users want passionately. These are the dealbreakers.’

1 Like

You can run out of likes? You learn something new every day.

2 Likes

I want a unicorn printed on the bottom of the machine. I refuse to buy one otherwise

5 Likes

Yep mine ran out today too. No more likes to give, sorry everyone.

3 Likes

When do you get a re-up?

1 Like

I’m lucky I have free MIDI ports left in the A4 but that’s about it haha.
That really sucks though.
I want to hear how it sounds though vs the original one. I got to be sure if they didn’t change some internal for newer stuff as i’m still within the 30 day return period of the MK1.

You most definitely do - just like everyone else that owns an OT.

You get a limited number per day, then when you try and give them they drip feed you 1 or 2 per hour, and you get interrupted messages. Really annoying.

2 Likes

Porting code from one DSP platform to another, more powerful one is not as trivial as a simple copy/paste operation. They’d basically have to rework the code from scratch.

3 Likes

I’m definitely curious if this means all the machines are going to get a facelift. Since this is a mechanical upgrade (plus a few more buttons… and that screen!) and uses the same hardware as DT, it makes sense that they would consolidate their supply line and make all the machines use the new mechanical hardware just as their old machines all used the same encoders and switches.

But really, I just want everything to have an OLED screen.

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe you’re right. I have no idea. Maybe in order to upgrade the hardware you’d have to upgrade it to something that the old OS wouldn’t run smoothly on, so you’d end up having to re-write from scratch? I’m clueless.

But I think this sense of entitlement from lots of people here on the forum is what irks me (not saying that that’s you). The MKii does not make the MKi less of an amazing instrument. All instruments have limitations. Learn the machine, make music, stop whining.

1 Like

Personally I’d take 8 outputs over any more inputs, but there ya go.

3 Likes