Introducing Octatrack MKII

After about five years of owning my OT I finally realised I still have the plastic cover over my screen. I pulled it off and it’s like a whole new visual experience. Like an MKII screen upgrade for free.

18 Likes

:frowning: Hopefully they’re able to opt for more future proof/adaptable innards for their boxes in future…

The MM Mk 2 hardware enabled it to have user waveforms, and the DigiPro Doubledraw and Ensemble machines. I have no idea about the internal technical details.

Most likely, no.

does anyone knows if, theoretically, would be possible to put an OLED display in the old model? screen is looking sexy :stuck_out_tongue:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The only enticing thing for me as a current owner is the improved inputs. I wonder if they could be installed in MKI units, as I need to send mine in at some point anyway.

1 Like

Unless elektron want to visually distinguish between an analog and a digital box, hmm?

I’m curious too!

I would assume that at least from a programming perspective its a drop-in replacement. Physically it looks slightly smaller (maybe 2.7" OLED?) than the original screen (2.9" LCD).

I think it would be possible, but it might require some trickery and maybe a bezel to cover any size difference.

1 Like

Haven’t had any problems with screen visibility on OT MK1 up to now.
Encoders could be a bit sturdier, but they’ve survived for six years.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

I’d say a good opportunity for an experienced modder

working up an email to tech support right now :diddly:

Living the dream!

1 Like

That’s true almost certainly. But you’re missing my meaning of missed opportunity point almost deliberately

They likely would have attracted far more attention from customers old and new if they had of properly gone the whole hog on an Mk2 OT. As it is, they may get some new owners on board as it will continue to be on sale. But that’s about it.

However, they could have gotten almost all Mk1 owners and a good lot more new owners completely hooked by implementing some of the newer features from the A4/Rytm/OB

I’m not saying the whole idea is a bad idea. I just think it’s a bit redundant

3 Likes

so will there be a decrease in price for the mk1? I’m wondering for those of us that bought one recently if retailers would honor that pricing vs. taking returns that will likely be sold at that pricing anyways?

Not necessarily, it could all be achieved on the MK2 control board with no changes to the firmware at all, simply by designing it so that the new buttons fire a string of keypresses rather than a single keypress, essentially macros for the existing key combinations (just like, for example, the old Gateway 2000 Anykey keyboards of the early 90s). Not saying they did that but it’s completely doable and would have avoided the need to branch the firmware.

1 Like

Nice improvements, proper MKII. I’m sure implementing Overbirdge on a 8 stereo track would at the least require USB3.0 to handle it. I’ve been using my OT through the A4 in Overbridge and I don’t mind it one bit. In any case what I’d love to see next is a “Digital 4” synth in the form factor of the Digitakt.

2 Likes

Of the screen options floating around, the OLED option is a little pricey, and the VFD mod is just downright expensive. It’d be nice to be able to get a purpose-specific screen direct from Elektron - I’d assume it’s the least expensive of all the mod/upgrade options.

There is waaaaay more than enough bandwidth on USB2.

2 Likes

honestly, i feel the price is fair and doesn’t leave a foul taste in my mouth as a proud owner of an OT mk1 for nearly 4 years now.

The upgraded components aren’t to be taken lightly. Huge improvement, especially on a sampler where you are banging on the step keys a little more often to trigger sounds.

I will likely get one end of the year, and retire my MK1 OT to backup duties, although the mention of a diy opamp upgrade on OT mk1 mentioned above has my brain tingling.

there was always this small vision of having 2 octatracks, now i have an excuse :smiling_imp:

6 Likes