Introducing Octatrack MKII

The internet is full of whiners :cry:.
This is worth it for the new buttons alone. I havenā€™t tried the new buttons on the DT but I know how bad they are on the OT.
Itā€™s worth it for the Slice button and am intrigued by the Pickup Sync button.
Improved converters are also totally worth it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve already done screen, encoder, and switch replacements. Iā€™ll post a guide if I can get a new screen from them :thup:

4 Likes

Arr - audio round robin?

Itā€™s definitely been done, will have to search a bit to find the threads. Plenty of info of OT resequencing itself through midi tracks etc. very possible to do the same thing with 2 machines

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read that accidentally bending the pins of the Compact Flash reader in the original Octatrack was somewhat easy to do with really bad consequences. I wonder if the slot in the MK2 version is any different (or maybe the issue was overblown to begin with?).

The more I look at this new layout, the better it looks. Thereā€™s less going on than with the mk I panel, which has a lot of ā€œredundantā€ visual busyness going on with the legending etc.

If this is the new ā€œelektron digitalā€ look, so be it then

(The back panel - I too liked the older big more tho)

fwiw Iā€™ve always considered the rytm to be the pinnacle of elektron design aesthetics - bold but not busy

1 Like

Clearly not aimed at existing users. Thatā€™s true.
Why the price hike ? Doesnā€™t seem warranted for what has been included

I donā€™t know. I guess Iā€™m just disappointed. Again
Not that Elektron owe me anything. They donā€™t
And I love all the stuff I do have by them

Itā€™s just that I nearly jumped out of my own skin with excitement when I saw it first
As Iā€™m sure every other OT owner did also
Only to have my hopes and dreams stripped away piece by piece as the saga unfolded

3 Likes

OKAYā€¦ I think Elektron should offer a ā€œswapā€ option to all of the owners of OT MKI ā€¦ Send IN MK1 to get Mk2 for a little price adjustmentā€¦ Iā€™d say $299 to be fair. Then I would forgive them.

5 Likes

Removed plastic.

New screen.

Glad I saved that for today.

The little things.

2 Likes

I see the MKII has gone down quite well overall lol

Yeah, noticed the same. I liked Octatrack for the bigger screen, and now they are shrinking it down for the extra cost. Thatā€™s kinda funny.

Yea youā€™re actually right on that. but as far as implementing the multiple inputs with ouputs the same way the other machines can on Overbridge it means you wouldnā€™t be able to have full functionality at 16bits. they all max out past 8 channels. Although I could still be wrong, f do I know ha

Really looking fwd>>> for the spec
MKII is ah bit Bigger and Lighter?

!_Dimensions: W340ƗD181ƗH63 mm (13.4Ɨ7Ɨ2.4ā€³)
Weight: approximately 2.4 kg (5.2 lbs)

2_W340 Ɨ D185 Ɨ H63 mm (8.5 Ɨ 7.2 Ɨ 2.5ā€³)
Weight approx. 2.3 kg (5 lbs)

Iā€™d hasten to add the only secret and probably as yet unspoken reason for the MKII is OS development.
Iā€™d imagine that theyā€™ve improved the DSP capabilities which would logically make sense with newer tech.
If that is the case you may see more filter options, refined and improved DSP effects, better AD/DA converters and the ability to develop the operating further than the originally OT would allow.
It would be nice to get confirmation that this is in fact the intent and it isnā€™t just a functionality / hardware upgrade.
Would someone from Elektron like to chime in ?

I suppose itā€™s a bit interesting we think Elektron owe us an explanation for anything. Hereā€™s the product, here are its features, here is what it costs.

3 Likes

They have, and unfortunately said that this isnā€™t likely to happen. Most we can hope for is some bug fixes it seems.

I think it looks sweet, new screen & backlit buttons will be nice live.
Would have liked to have seen an OT2 as opposed to a MKII but hey ho.
With the advent of Orthogonal Devices ER-301 maybe missed a trick here?

1 Like

I was really excited about this for a microsecond until I realized the DAC was the same and the sample rate hasnā€™t changed. Which were the two reasons I sold my OT in the first place. The sound quality just wasnā€™t holding up to my AR or Modular setup.

2 Likes

Talking about just just USB2 here, there is plenty of bandwidth for dozens of 24/48 streams.

2 Likes

"Your children will be born in a world of two OCTATRACKS. They will never know a sky without themā€¦Someday, the children of the new OCTATRACK will meet the children of the old. I think they will be our friends. " ā€“2010 (1984)

(Sorry!)

8 Likes