Introducing Octatrack MKII

Well put mate

1 Like

Switched my mpc live preorder to this. I own 5 other electron boxes and love the workflow. I have never owned OT but lusted after it all year, reading this forum at work and learning about its workflow in spare moments. Very excited to start my dark octatrack journey

7 Likes

:-)) i am usually also bored about comments about ā€œwanted featuresā€ 2 seconds after releaseā€¦ but after 3 years without update, the OT refreshment is maybe leading to some crazy updates from the electron guys rethinking the cool concept and optimizing itā€¦ i would love that :slight_smile:

by the way: LFOs are only useful, if you think of unplaned, coincidential composingā€¦ i love the fill function, that alows me to switch the whole vibe of a pattern by the click of a button (and also just for 1,2,3 beats in a bar)ā€¦ really makes a pattern come to liveā€¦ wellā€¦ so far i will use the AR for this :slight_smile:

You very well could be right, however from my perspective, having owned and used a modern MPC (albeit a Touch) and having tried to deal with Akai and there Australian Dealers, they are in no danger. The new MPCs are useless, crash constantly and in no way would I trust them to go live with. Mine is totally disabled with a USB port issue and after several attempts at contacting AKAI themselves and the dealers so it could be repaired or replaced under warranty, guess whatā€¦total and utter silence. They did not have the decency to respond at all. So I own a $1200 AUD paperweight. As long as my arse points to the ground, there is no way that will entertain another AKAI product. Have been extremely happy with all the Elektron gear though.

4 Likes

Sounds like the Digitakt haha just jokin
Yeah there is no denying Elektron provide great products and service.
Teething problems at the beginning but all new products have them.

You are not a regular user here ? if yes you should know that : on Gear Release post or Announcement, for every brandā€¦ itā€™s post by nature more cluttered than user asking for help, or another subject where people asking to be helped. Why ? because these post tend to be more a open discussion thread. Did I like the design, Did I need it, Whatā€™s about it internally, Do we can expect updates, new features etcā€¦

If you bored about people asking for new features. THEN maybe you have plenty of money to spend 1k as it is. To be honest thatā€™s not my case and when I tried for the TORAIZ I was very disappointed to spend 1.5k because they release an unfinished prototype who even not correspond to the first prototype they show the release year on sound event. (like NAMM etcā€¦)

So yes I can understand some mature people, with limited budget, with special needs, ā€¦ have expectations. Also I donā€™t think itā€™s ā€œaskingā€ but hope. And hope the wish are read by elektron and considered without annoying them by email or whatever.

But I get it at some point on a forum, thread becoming hard to read, if you take care of your personal time. But itā€™s the web tool ā€œthe FORUMā€ by nature leading to that.
I get it also, people are stuck in a non progression in their projects becoming negative and this negativism have impact on positive people like you ! Totally get it.

But itā€™s like to say and I say that the cool way to you and the others, and because I think itā€™s a general observation from here and elsewhere. itā€™s like when you are in a public place like a Pub and you have someone not fine in his lifeā€¦ and he was expel by the ownerā€¦ because of the general quiet and tranquility required for the commerce. Honestly I get it too but we live in a world of misery and each one have to take a small piece of it on himselfā€¦ and do with it. Thatā€™s LIFE.

itā€™s no criticism :wink: just a subject to have in mind and think.
From my point of view.

2 Likes

Or maybe if you want to have this amazingly thoughtful meaningful discussion about the OT MKII, feel free to initiate it. Yeah, thatā€™s what I thought. Not much more to say other than itā€™s grey right? Thereā€™s always the option of not ā€œwastingā€ oneā€™s time with this thread; Iā€™d think that would be most obvious to a person.

Oh the irony @Prints
I wish I hadnā€™t just ā€˜wasted my timeā€™ reading your post

1 Like

Interesting discussion this one. I guess Iā€™ll throw some change at it. To be honest, I have yet to discover and understand the full and complex functionality of the original Octatrack yet, but in the time that I have been playing with it, I have wished for a few additional features/updates, whatever you want to call them. Those being, yes Trig conditions, an expanded octave range for midi note input, a POT and not an encoder to handle levels, a better screen, maybe midi over USB so I can connect a USB controller without a USB host, unless of course Faderfox comes up with the the business, then I want an extra Midi Input, (i am old school and not a huge fan of USB) and probably better headroom (which is said to be addressed). Iā€™m not too fussed over extra ins and outs, or OB useability. To me the original is still very much relevant and fascinating, but I do like the fresh look of the MK2 and those additional buttons should help out with functionality and I would be pretty chuffed with the new record/edit buttons. Wasnā€™t quite what I was thinking would eventuate and it happened a lot quicker than expected. I personally believe there will be an OCTATRACK 2 in due course (5-10 years) and a similar refresh of the A4 and tweaks to the Rytm.

How is it ironic that I feel someone who regards all the discussion about the unreleased OT MKII in this thread as ā€œa waste of timeā€ should ignore this thread rather than complain about the way people post?

Point 3. is already available CUE + TEMPO button combo to turn on/off metronome.
Point 7. Has been confirmed by Cenk by higher quality inputs with better headroom like the DT.

+1 for your other points but what IĀ“m hoping for the most is better time stretching algorithms.

1 Like

yea!!! really cant wait to use those inputsā€¦

7 Likes

Cenk, any news on upgraded time stretching algorithms?

I cant answer for new featuresā€¦ Just remember this is more of an hardware update :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Food for thought (or wishful thinkingā€¦)

Backwards compatible with OT Mk1 projects/data doesnā€™t necessarily mean that the Mk1 is compatible with Mk2 projects. Itā€™s possible they could add some new software features to a refresh and still maintain compatibility with older projects from the MK1.

As in ā€œthere are OS updates tooā€ - let the speculation begin!

Edit: Cenk says ā€œHalflife 3 confirmedā€.

5 Likes

I even confirmed Half Life 4 years ago and look where we are, still no Octatrack 2 :elot:

19 Likes

Mmmm. Cool for mkii owners. Not so great for OG owners/users to feel like Elektron confirming they scrimped on components on the original Ā£1000+ box :confused:

1 Like

Really just depends on where the limitations were in previous firmware. People often cite ā€˜theyā€™d maxed out the ramā€™ but 7 years on from OT1, ram and flash memory is cheap so an update in that department is a no-brainer. If, however, theyā€™d reached the practical performance limit of the processor thatā€™s a different matterā€¦

Not really fair to say ā€˜badā€™, as they were appropriate for the needs when the box was designed seven years ago, but times in electronics move on quickly and whatā€™s available / appropriate today is far more advanced for the money.

1 Like