Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone & Digitone Keys

That only works one way though - you can mute active tracks but not unmute inactive ones.

2 Likes

Have they confirmed that?

Ugh I was hoping to swap my MPC One for a Digitakt via Craigslist but am a tad impatient generally and just saw a mint one on CL somewhat locally for $450… oh the GAS pains, it’s like an IBS flare up!

2 Likes

They haven’t confirmed anything specific, just that there will be some changes made in this area. We’ll just have to see what they come up with.
Maybe ‘Save to Proj’ (renamed as ‘Save to Slot’?) could work as a snapshot that can be recalled (would solve my main grumble) but dunno if that’s feasible.

At that price it’s really your duty as a good citizen to buy it.

5 Likes

???

which device are you testing with?
i have a digitone and it doesnt restore mute states anymore, regardless if song mode is on or off.

P.S. okay i just discovered a bunch of bugs on DN. gotta send some tickets. :pray:

Ha ha… that’s what the voices in my head are saying!

1 Like

I think it was a bug. When I changed to a different pattern, the Step record started working.

1 Like

Just tried song mode on the Syntakt. Works very nicely. Two wishes. Offsets and the ability to name the sections

If by section name you mean the row label in the Song Edit screen, you have the option to use Pattern Name, meaning you can call them whatever you want:

1. LABEL lets you select a keyword for the row. The keyword is related to song structure, e.g., Verse, Chorus, and Fill. It can also be the pattern name.

At least on the Syntakt - I’m assuming it’s the same for the others :slightly_smiling_face:. From: https://cdn.www.elektron.se/media/downloads/syntakt/Syntakt_User_Manual_ENG_OS1.10_220929.pdf#page45

3 Likes

Can you record automation through song mode?

Let’s say I have 8 patterns chained, can I record a filter opening up, or gradual increase of delay send, for example? And it remember that when I restart?

1 Like

All the Digitakt overview videos I’ve been watching are rather dated so I am not sure what grips outside of song mode have been addressed in the various firmware updates, such as the limited effects and filter options. Does anyone care to break them down for me?

Most of the new features are listed on the Release notes

2 Likes

The fx are mostly the same as they have always been (overdrive / delay / reverb). A master compressor has been added, also very useful for resampling. An additional LFO has been added, which can also modulate parameters from the first LFO, which makes it very powerful.

The filters have been extended with a:

• Base / Width filter, next to the normal filter (life changer!)
  • Parametric EQ (1 to 5) (very useful for resampling)
1 Like

Naming the parts works on all Digis. It’s an amazing feature. It also remembers the position in the names list when you name multiple rows afterwards.

I found some quirks (like not being able to get out of song mode) that might be resulted by having two Digis connected via Midi. Making sure the “Play” button is not lit (if not, press stop) resolves those.

1 Like

Have to test it but i was able to record notes over a sequence of patterns but the recording takes place in the actual pattern data so as long as you sequence pattern after pattern without repeating any it becomes part of the song. Requires a different approach but it can be a nice use of song mode.

2 Likes

Yes, but it will become part of the pattern in which it is recorded.

Example: Chain of A01-A04 with a filter sweep going from 0-127. Pattern A01 would be 0-31, A02 would be 32-63, A03 would be 64-95, A04 would be 96-127 (assuming linear automation the entire time).

1 Like

That’s fine for the kind of song structure I’d be dealing in - mostly repetative techno beats. I want to print that kind of stuff in.

Wait, what? That’s a huge deal!

Can you also record Fill functionality into the Song Mode arrangement?