Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone & Digitone Keys

We also can’t send pattern mutes via MIDI. That would be a workaround but it isn’t.

That is super cool and all…

but what about putting song/performance mode on the Model products that have been ignored for 3+ years when Elektron marketed them as Jam/Live instruments?

Sure a full fledged song Mode would be hard to put on such a small screen, but performance mode should be a standard on a JAM oriented product

Also can we get keyboard scales someday?

Anyways…

Really weird omission there.

It’s always in performance mode. Just twist those knobs :upside_down_face:

I doubt we’ll ever see a really expansive update on the Model boxes. Minor tweaks yes, a new machine on the M:C would be HUGE and extremely cool of course. But they’re fairly complete as is imo, especially considering the price bracket they’re in…

3 Likes

ha ha this fuckin rules

1 Like

Nah they are def lacking very obvious features. There is no performance mode, the fact you have to use a modifier func to mute track is very annoying for example.

Also I would say basic attack control and sensitivity profiles for pads should have been baseline.

I am not necessary counting on a new machine, but adressing the lack of attack parameter and the very bad pads should really be happening esp considering the price increase and the huge fiasco of the power handle…

I guess I don’t see it that way. For me it felt like a lot of sound and tons of fun for the money. It’s all about expectations I guess.

Edit: I agree an attack parameter would help a lot for certain sounds.

1 Like

They were not really developed to do and be everything.

It’s fine to want more, especially if you love 'em.

@Nils: Exactly, expectations are everything.

How is wanting a basic attack control parameter equal wanting the models to be “everything”? That is the most basic feature a synth/groovebox can have. Wait so will we get new elektron hardware next without decay or pitch control parameters? That would surely be revolutionnary.

1 Like

Wanting things is not a problem!

Going in, I set that as expected by limits of UI design, and I can fix with LFO if needs be.

1 Like

I always thought of it first and foremost as a drum machine. The chord thingie was a bonus, but that part was never the main focus. Drums are. At least that’s how it always felt to me.

There is nothing in the design preventing a knob from controlling attack actually.
And the fact you only have one LFO and you need to use it to mimick attack control is arbitrary limitation rather than clever design.

Same can be said about not having sensivity profiles for pads when 90% of the ppl who bought the models complain about them (pretty much useless for tapping drum beats live).

You thought of it as a drum machine, but it surely was not designed as one, and was not marketed as one either…

Limitations are endemic to art and creativity, there is nothing technologically precluding this, but a specific UI design decision was made to deprioritize attack for their idea of simplicity and “1 knob per function”.

Ultimately, the lack of Attack control does not make this useless, or invalid.

It was not marketed as having control over the Attack portion, though!

I have enough neuroses to worry about things which are not, I try and focus on what is.

1 Like

But that’s the thing, the models aren’t even true to that. You have a bunch of knobs with two functions, SWING/NUDGE, CHANCE/COND, REVERB SIZE/REVERB TONE, DELAY TIME/DEL FEEBACK. And a bunch of buttons with more than one function aswell like Punch/Quantize .

Dont think anybody said the models were useless, what was said is, asking for basic attack control parameter is not the same as asking for a bunch of advanced features or wanting the models to do “anything” and be “everything”…

It was marketed as a fm based groovebox, how many modern fm grooveboxes lack attack control parameter?

There’s no official definition of a groovebox denoting what has to be included to qualify as one, even though you pretend there is.

I wish you would embrace what it is (and isn’t) instead of polluting every other thread on this forum about your preceived shortcomings of the MC…

10 Likes

Well I can think of three FM grooveboxes.

M:C
Liven XFM
DX200

Of those three, the only one I can see with any sort of extensive envelope control is the DX.

The lack of attack control can be annoying and is clearly a big issue for you.

Have you emailed Elektron about it via their feature request email address?

Because you can carry on ranting about it on here if you like, but all that’s likely to do is wind up a bunch of nerds.

7 Likes

The liven XFM has full on FM synth parameter list which means it does indeed have attack control…
The Manual is literally available online… for free

Fair enough.

I really don’t give enough of a shit about this to sit and read through a manual for gear I’m never going to own.

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

Oh cool! DN has song mode now!

7 Likes

dieh-hard-gif-3

2 Likes

Is anyone having luck synchronizing pattern mutes across two or more digi boxes in Song Mode?

I posted more details here.