Is it actually possible to use Overbridge with two Elektron machines?

I own a DT, DN and analog heat.
My dream would be to being able to record 8 tracks from DT + 4 tracks from DN and apply AH on some of those 12 tracks.

Is that actually possible? I

Never tried, but my guess is that you would need three dedicated usb ports for it to work smoothly.

I shoguns have been more specific. I tried and or didnt work. Simply because you need to select one device as a soundcard. So one device get recorded. I hope I’m missing something obvious.

Yes it’s possible. I’ve done this (with the exception of the heat) I use the internal soundcard as monitor out. and just route the individual outputs from the digitakt (and in my case A4 and Keys) to audiotracks to be recorded. (i use ableton live, but most daw’s can do this…) and if you have the Heat as an insert you can get that channel aswell.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that it’s the individual outs from the VST’s…

Yes, that’s totally possible and the main feature of overbridge,

What you need is a pc or mac, preferably with a separate audiointerface. As a Software you take a DAW, for Overbridge Id recommend Ableton live, as this was first tested with Overbridge from electron.

You setup the audio interface as the main output. connect all 3 elektrons directly via usb to the computer or use the overhub. other usbhubs might not work properly and produce glitches. Take Digitone as the main input as there is no Overbridge plugin available for it at the moment. you can record the four outputs with the external instrument plugin from live.

Digitakt and Heat have there own overbridge plugins and can be inserted anywhere just like any other vst instrument or effect.

3 Likes

Certainly possible! I showed this in more than one video on my channel :slight_smile:

You can even use 2 different DTs simultaneously by loading the Digitakt plugin twice.

6 Likes

Ok that’s good news, thanks a lot guys.

@goatofneptune, can I do it without an external soundcard through asio4all?

This depends on the computer you use. Recording 10-20 tracks at once in Ableton requires a very stable and fast system. Dedicated audio interfaces with “real” asio drivers work a lot better for this setup. What computer and OS (windows? OSX?) do you use?

You can also use one of the soundcards of the Elektron boxes. Actually very good soundcards build in.

1 Like

@phelios, thanks but I think in this case the most important isn’t the OS but the RAM. I have plenty of those and if OB support multi-cores I should be fine with it.

@DaveMech, thanks I’ll check your explanation video. EDIT: I’ve watched it, I totally missed the plugin part. I was just trying to configure 8 voices directly from the soundcard that’s why I stuck. Thanks for the videos.

1 Like

It still would help a lot to know your setup to give you advise on this. RAM isn´t important unless you work with sample libraries. Overbridge doesn´t need much RAM but my experience from working with different computers and audio interfaces is that the CPU speed, audio interface and OS matter.

was wondering about this today. Damn, OB is really powerful!