Is The digitone a softsynth?

They should have punched some breathing holes in the box.

1 Like

@francis When will these monsters learn

1 Like

To me the digitone is a musical instrument, where in part it is defined by the sound it generates and also its limitations. An instrument is also a thing where the end result is something greater than the sum of the parts.

A good question is: can you replicate the sounds of the digitone through software alone? No doubt, the answer is yes.

Another good question is: given the finite amount of time we get to be here, what do I want to do with that time?

Some people just enjoy the experience of learning and playing a musical instrument. There is a lot of joy in it.

I feel it is both a privilege and a function of luck if you get to spend even a portion of your time playing an instrument.

Elektron makes instruments, new instruments no-one has ever seen before. They are things where the whole is greater.

Another good question is: Is it worth it?

Iā€™ve played instruments my whole life, and guitar is the only one I stuck with. A nice guitar might cost 3-4k. The digitone is a fraction of that. Iā€™m glad I never stuck with piano.

The answer to is it worth it is really up to the individual, their preferences, what they want and what they are trying to do. I think the digitone looks like a lot of fun to use and really does fall in the affordable end of the spectrum.

3 Likes

At a suitable level of synth, every hardware is an abstraction.

1 Like

Trying to mess with my brain, are you?

For such an interesting question there sure are a bunch of rubbish answers.

Does the DN have dedicated hardware oscillators, or does it create the audio waves with a general purpose CPU?

The Dx7 is considered a hardware synth because it has dedicated hardware to generate audio for the operators. Even though that hardware is controlled by a little piece of software. The hardware generates the sound.

Dexed and FM8 are software synths because they use a general purpose CPU to generate sound through software that models audio shapes. The software generates the sound.

Which way does the DigiTone do it?

1 Like

Simple answer is digitone is a hardware synth, but any digital synth at this point can usually be matched and exceeded in power by a soft synth, cause thatā€™s what they essentially are, just in a box. You pay for the ease of use.

I wonā€™t be buying cause I can just sequence and control an FM softsynth from my OT, p-locks and probability and all, but others needs differ vastly. Say you hate computers or donā€™t own one, or you want an all hardware setup for live playing, this is a solution. Or if you want a hardware synth that has deep computer integration so you can use both. Itā€™s not really about how the sound is made, itā€™s the functions and UI that count. Listen to the demos and see if you like the sound rather than worrying about technicalities imo

People think theyā€™re funny by spamming a topic with off-topic replies.

1 Like

Lighten up, the question will inevitably be answered. I enjoy it a lot more on here when people talk like humans rather than an instruction manual

2 Likes

It is because the question itself is already funny. Not that there are stupid questions, but asking if a hardware synth is a software synth is a bit trolly and has a hidden agenda (or at least displays quite heavy prejudice).

The answer is what does it matter. There is no objectively better sound, ever, period.

Digitone uses a processor chip the generate the sound. If some hardware used to have separate computing chips due to manufacturing differences compared to modern technology, then so what. It doesnā€™t mean anything. Different is different.

If the real question is why buy this when there are other options, then ask that. For me it is because I havenā€™t found similar functionality in software. Sure you can combine stuff but it is never the same. Design and UI matters.

If this was a genuine interest to implementation of Digitone then apologies for this rant. Maybe write less trolly subject lines. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That statement implies I am upset or angry about the off topic posts. I merely pointed out the posts are off topic and to me spam and also not even funny. But I guess itā€™s ok to spam someoneā€™s topic with unfunny off-topic comments. Always good to know the rules.

Iā€™m not saying youā€™re having a breakdown that was just a bit of a negative comment, hence lighten up.
Anyway weā€™re veering further off topic here

funā€™s over

You know itā€™s not - and those are not the rules

As ever people, please flag rather than have spats - there were 20 odd flags (too many) on this brief thread - so the community have spoken clearly about what constitutes helpful contributions

Itā€™s worth pointing out that FM in the analogue domain with various ā€˜algorithmsā€™ is indeed possible - so the question was valid and was unfairly ā€˜judgedā€™ - in fairness the box is named Digi-tone, but still, people have to feel able to ask questions - itā€™s a community for all - keep it welcoming, thereā€™s a time and a place for humour and itā€™s mostly welcomed

4 Likes