Is there a plug thingy available to properly make the EXT input dual?

Looking for a way to properly plug in 2 instruments (small drummachine & polysynth) into Rytm MK1 EXT in.
I have been fiddling with small mixers and have also experimented with sticking cables halfway into te EXT in (with the help of a dual mono to stereo jack adapter). Both options kinda work, but it’s not exactly what i’m after.
Small mixer means extra space, cables & adapter, and fiddling with multiple cables doesn’t really work.
So is there something available to accomplish this the right way?

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Just what i need

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the brief but can’t you just use a TRS to dual TS cable? They’re often used for sends etc. The Elektron one looks nice but a bit clunky if that’s all you need.

I have a few of the Hosa STP’s which can be had for less than a tenner:

Edit: I just realised that would pan your two instruments … I get it now :slight_smile:

If you want each mono appearing on both sides you will need a different solution. A little mixer is handy anyway, especially given the ar inputs have a lot of headroom, so you will likely need the gain.

The CV kits are so flexible if you just want to bring in two sources and don’t mind the fact that the devices are panned hard left/right

Oh wait, are they panned hard left & right? That’s not what i’m after. Perhaps there is no other way then a small mixer. But that will just be a step too much (on the couch) perhaps i’ll have to think of something else. But thanks for the comments everybody

Oh ok, right, I thought that was the point of the Elektron cable (that I was missing), taking mono sources and spreading them over the stereo TRS, which is what you’re after. If it’s not doing that then I don’t really understand what it’s for as then it’s just an expensive TRS splitter cable.

It’s not expensive, it’s good quality and extremely flexible - you can use it in a number of ways

TRS can be 1/4" or 1/8"

TS can be 1/4" or 1/8" or 1/4" & 1/8" and combinations thereof

The Cables are very handy for CV or Control In wrt Modular

etc etc

The breakout part is hefty though, and as ever ymmv

Great utility kit and good value for what you get - generally handy imho, especially for Mk1 if you want to split outs - i make my own cables, but i still bought myself a few more of these sets recently

@MarkosDee if you’re happy soldering stuff up you can make your own summing cable, typically they’re available stereo to mono (or two sources to one in your case) - but you’d be fine making a version of those cables which copied the ‘combined’ output tip signal to the ring(right) or offered two combined signals to tip/ring if the source devices were stereo

you can’t run the Y cables in reverse to ‘join’ the audio, that’s why there are these summing cables discussed elsewhere on here e.g.

2 Likes

I concur. I’ve got the Elektron option, and some hand crafted split options, which were a slight pain to do. The Elektron option is really well built, and can also be used with the MK1 A4’s CV outs. I also use it sometimes to make splits on other bits of gear.

2 Likes

Thanks, i’ll look into it. Perhaps ask my buddy (who’s good with creating electronics) to make one.

1 Like

and a ‘stereo splitter’, wouldn’t that work? Seems to transform 1x stereo into dual stereo. I might have a go at something like this

Not advised

The link in the topic shown above explains why that is not a good idea - the summing cable resolves the issue that using that (in reverse) to ‘mix’ would create

http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/624

1 Like

Thanks again for your advice. After looking into to it some more i think i’ll go with one of these tiny little passive mixers ‘CX400’

1 Like