Isla S2400

its worth it. my favourite piece of gear. has a real premium feel, solid workflow and very very good sound. the initial workflow is reminiscent of the SP1200 but actually this thing goes pretty deep and once you get muscle memory around the workflow i think the step/seq editing, song arrangement, other nuances, usage of the 8 faders in different modes, different analog filters on outputs, etc all come together. i literally find im learning more on this daily then i did on my MPCs (1000 and Live). Something about the workflow i personally really gel with.

8 Likes

I think the S2400 could become a future classic, will definitely try to get one in the near future.

1 Like

The SP1200/S2400 “multimode” concept sort of touches on the “playable p locks” idea people have requested for the Rytm and other elektrons. It’s incredibly fast and live, being able to quickly set and play slices, or pitches + filtering et cetera, record those hits, and then change it just as fast and layer the new “locks”. What you can quickly do with a single sample on this thing is so inspiring.

5 Likes

Wondering what users think of recent state of 2400?

Does it work well for more “experimental” approaches like “pseudo granular”, “wave looping”? Are there LFOs to modulate playing position, sample start etc?

Is there enough tools to shape and mangle samples? Fades in loop mode? Modulation? Bit depth, overdrive, fm?

Have they added effects?

Is it possible to timestretch or warp things?

Is it possible to play longer samples from card or else?

How do you like UI comparing to MPC or Elektron? I guess it’s quite clear they the UI is brilliant but want to hear why exactly : )

If you know nice video demos in field of more “minimal”, “micro house”, “modern electronics” music, please share : )

1 Like

I had held off for pretty much the list of reasons you posted! But I got on the new Pte order at the special offer, because it sounds really good in the demos and I think will continue to evolve. I am aware it is it’s own thing. It but my plan is to use it for very specific things I enjoy which mainly is sampling obscure vinyl snippets and collating them. I use octatrack as more of a hub with the sequencer. The external sequencer on 2400 as it stands I’m not sure I would use. It has a bunch of outs for sending to effects. I’m not 100% on it but willing to take it on its own terms.

2 Likes

Any Europeans who ordered one with the discounted price? Any import tax u need to worry about?

thnx for ur thoughts

Yes. Customs will hit me. In UK. fuckers.

1 Like

I paid 950 dollars for mine when it first came out. Its well worth the money. The manual isnt the best i actually prefer Elektron manuals. Adjust the pads as soon as you get it as the factory state is too sensitive and will double trigger.

1 Like

The s2400 is one of my favorite samplers, but it is in no way experimental or a sample mangler and has no lfos, no fx, etc. It does not sound like what you are looking for from your post.

3 Likes

Wow thats not expensive at all compared to the current sale

The case was still a lot though. But yes 950 a bargain.

What, no discussion on the recent announcement of the DSP and filter expansion boards? I‘ll be all over these. Hope I‘ll get to keep all my limbs and inner organs.

2 Likes

Feel its still(daughterboard) a long way off. Bit of a Behringer type announcement with photoshopped images. Plus shortage of chips. Id say at least a year, maybe longer.

1 Like

How much extra room is in the s2400? Am I going to have to decide between dsp or analog filters for example?

Looks like you’ll be able to have both in at the same time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChTRzQ-r5Ao/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 Likes

Ah, I missed that, thanks a lot and good to hear!

1 Like

Let me know how much you’ve end up paying in customs!

1 Like

Hmm… wondering what kind of „vst“ will b provided with DSP board. hopefully not something boring like emulations of analog but more sampler / granular / „sample based“ kind of things… or it’s only for effects?

Isla has quite a nice price / value policy so hopefully those two addons will cost like 400-500 each

The new batches next year will have them prefitted if paid for. No diy fuck ups.

1 Like