Issue with temporary save

I’ve had the Digitakt for seven months and love it so far, but I seem to be having an issue with the pattern’s “temporary save” function. Whenever I reboot the Digitakt the pattern’s saved state gets overwritten by the pattern’s last iteriation before I turned off the Digitakt. This means I can’t “reload” this temporarily saved pattern by pressing “FUNC+NO”, because, it will return me to the pattern’s last iteration before shutoff.
I was told by another user the “temporary save” function will keep the pattern in its temporarily saved state even after I alter pattern. If I shut off the Digitakt I can reload the temporarily pattern by selecting “FUNC+NO”.
I was told by others the “temporary save” function only lasts while the Digitakt is on; after the Digitakt gets turned off the pattern’s current state gets saved regardless of whether it was “temporarily saved”. This would mean if I wanted to revert my pattern I would have to “reload” these patterns before I shut off the Digitakt if I wanted to discard any changes.
So, is there a problem with my Digitakt’s temporary save function or am I using it wrong?

How you describe it works is correct. When turning the DT off its state at that point is saved in RAM and thus will be the last saved state in a sense. This is great because this way you will never lose anything even if DT is turned off by accident.

You want to use the project save function to save your project to the plus drive in the state that you want to have it in. When you turn on your DT after messing with patterns and turning it off, simply reload the project and you:re back share you want to be.

Also: save as new version every now and then before making big changes to a project so you can always go back a version.

4 Likes

And save the project before switching to another or new project.

2 Likes

Good to know.
So the temporary save feature is more for reverting to an original pattern after building variations on said pattern?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the DT way of undo: See it as a temporary snapshot so you can experiment / improvise and easily return to what you temporary saved.

1 Like

Yeah one of the uses :). You can build an entire climax and when you want the drop to happen revert back to saved state.
I also use it as an undo while creating grooves. Also remember that you can revert individual pages back to saved state by holding parameter page + no.

Also when using control all, keep holding TRK then press no to revert back to the state before you started control all.

Also, copy a pattern to have another layer of ‘reverting back’ by pasting it back :wink:

And then there is the option to save the pattern to project and then reload it when you want to.

So lots of options. Hopefully doesn’t confuse the matter. Point in general is: save your project to plus drive everytime you are content with the state. I save my projects a lot during producing. Also save project copies with incremental numbering to be able to go back if you mess up.

4 Likes