J Dilla's Hip Hop Production Techniques!

Note: Although Dilla used an MPC, you can use his techniques on Elektron devices, your favorite DAW or other cool gadgets! Hope you enjoy and go make beats!

20 Likes

Nicely done

1 Like

Oh NO! I’m going to get sucked into this one! I barely heard any of his music once I heard of him, but his legendary status and story were irresistible to learn of. And just as I thought I would never really get deeper I was always curious to learn more, and now this… I’m going to take it ALL in!

1 Like

Hey, great video! Enjoyed it a lot and I’m not normally either a fan of most video content or into hip hop :slight_smile:

1 Like

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in Dilla. It goes deep into his production techniques and who he was as a person. One of the best music books I’ve ever read.

9 Likes

yeah, I highly recommend the Dilla Time book! Agree it’s one of the best music books out there, especially regarding hip hop or beat making.

2 Likes
5 Likes

interesting tutorial by Slynk.

yeah, he’s always thoughtful about these things and insightful…

btw where the hell have you been man, been waiting more of your deluge, digitakt, and mpc videos!!!

2 Likes

yeah. oh, mostly just trying to juggle things. The videos take a lot of time and sometimes other items take priority of my time. I’m trying to reprioritize the channel now because I miss/love making videos.

I appreciate your support.

2 Likes

That book is amazing.

2 Likes

I bought the book but gave up after a few chapters. I must carry on if there are production techniques in the later chapters.

Also check out the audiobook, it has actual audio examples all over.

1 Like

Thanks. any ideas on how to implement this easily within on the elektron sequencer?

Try using retrig set to 1/5 1/10 1/20, then play with micro timing. Another way is to resample and play with the pitch.

1 Like

Thanks, though I think in case of retrig the sequencer does not allow to mess with the velocity of individual hits ? seems a bit limited like this.
not sure, I only have an analog four :sweat_smile: not even sure there is retrig on this one.

I just figured It sounds doable to mess with track speed multipliers and step length of a pattern to achieve this quintuplet swing. maybe having several tracks as templates with different signatures and copy/ pasting trigs to the main track would be useful to test different results, as the guy does in the video.
I cannot wrap my head around it right now, it is late here…

nice to see you on here! huge fan - great job again on the dilla vid

1 Like

It’s really not that complicated if you want to sound like Dilla, he used a mpc and dr sample. In the 90s and 00s. So just think about those instruments and how they work. You just make a kick+snare pattern, then resample your own “drunk beat” on top of that. Main thing to understand is resampling. It’s not sequencing

I just move individual hits to where I want, but I think the key thing to know about the slynk videos is that the kick and snares are dead on the grid, he really is only fudging with the hats