Jamming on a plane with a Syntakt

The weirdest thing is how it gets louder as soon as you sit down

1 Like

Whenever I am on a long-ish flight it is after a short connecting flight and either waiting hours for the connection or having to run to make it in time so I’m too stressed out for music making even if I bring some music gear in my backpack.

Bringing gear is only worth it if you are planning on using it at your destination, too. Otherwise you may be disappointed that you have hauled it around for nothing.

3 Likes

Op-z and nanobox Lemondrop work a charm on a plane in economy. Can even fit them both on the tray and get them hooked up together!

1 Like

In the US, electric outlets are fairly standard on planes - not the same over there?

iPad is the way! Drambo is like a octatrack on steroids. Koala is like a sp404 mk1.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing. Of course you can take and use devices with internal batteries but you are not allowed to take a powerbank into the plane because of danger of exploding units. Even if the capacity and energy density of the infernal battery of your laptop is higher. :thinking:

That is for the Berlin Airport, not sure about the rest.

Know that from an airport technician who gave me a new powerbank everytime I met him. :grin:

Also, Audulus 4 for modular

1 Like

Same - For me personally, Kindle is my best friend on flights. I learn a lot about music history and music theory that way. I also bring a nice notebook and pen. Sometimes I’ll bring my Nintendo Switch, but it can be tricky to find a place for the Switch that doesn’t result in my neck bent at an odd angle for hours.

But I’m not the OP, and sometimes you have to try a thing out before you realize it is silly. I still want to bring the Syntrx or Lyra and jam in one of those business class sleeper pod things, but those tickets are silly expensive. Hopefully an employer will spring for one of those tickets…

1 Like

I always bring my full size acoustic bass on flights, much better.

1 Like

Don’t be that person OP. You are setting up yourself for miserable experience with the possibility of being an inconvenience to others. You don’t want to explain to airport stuff what this 1.5 kg steel box of circuitry, buttons and cables is and why you need it in your carry on luggage during flight. Also, setting up on reclining table would be a chore while using your laps would be uncomfortable since Syntakt runs too hot.

1 Like

Airport security has seen much worse than a groovebox. There are threads on MW detailing the modular rigs that people have traveled with, no problem.

The bigger problem with bringing music gear on international flights is that customs may decide that you are a Professional Musician trying to sneak in on a tourist visa, and that can land you in a world of hurt.

2 Likes

I used an iPhone with a Keith Mcmillenn Qunexus super compact. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Yeah totally, my day job is in developing music hardware and prototypes so I’ve taken a lot of weird hacky things through security with no issues. As long as you’re not hiding anything, security just will ask you what it is. Also helps that I ‘look like an artist’. ;0)

But yeah, good point, I am a professional musician too so do need to watch that, I’m actually just heading out to hang with my wife’s family for a few weeks….!

1 Like

I wouldn’t hesitate a second to pick the device you think you’ll have the most fun with. Go with your initial thought. :blush:

2 Likes

I once had a modular setup on a train lol.
Looking back at it ppl must have thought “what an ass” :rofl:

1 Like

No one thinks that really, there might be some envious glances but most people are intrigued. Only issue I’ve had in the past with attracting attention is people wanting to talk or ask you about the instrument or thing, when you’re kinda just wanting to jam.

1 Like

Oh reminds me I have a boppad somewhere, need to try that on IOS

Yeah, I would agree. I was on my way to a synth meet and noticed an outlet near my seat so it was a no-brainer really.

People walking by definitely noticed it and seemed interested but as I’m living in Finland, actually talking to a stranger is out of the question, unless you’re a synth-nerd as well and even then it’s highly improbable.

2 Likes

Being open about synth nerding is good. I live on a small street, and have met four neighbours who are into modular synths here.

EDIT. maybe that’s just living in Bristol

5 Likes

Sounds like a great little street then!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes