JHS Colour box v2 - worth it?

Just interested if anyone think these are good for both studio and live use? I’ve got an SSL SiX already so I feel this might not be useful for a studio anyways

I love mine. Very versatile. I have it at the end of my effects chain and send the 1/4 out to my amp and the XLR out to my interface so I can do a parallel mix thing.

The overdrive circuit can add some subtle saturation or full on fuzz and everything in between. Can’t recommend it enough. Plus the high pass and EQ sound great. Enough tone shaping to not need a graphic EQ IMO.

2 Likes

I’ve got a v1 and a 500 series and use them both all the time. A different sound than the SSL.

I’m very curious about that pedal as well so happy to read what people think about it.
It seems awesome as a hand on characterful pre amp for not an insane price.

I have one and love it! It sounds great and can get nice and fuzzy. I use it for vocals and bass direct to the 404 and into my SiX. I got it with my Amazon Business account for $381.

2 Likes

Wow, they are on sale for $359 now. That’s a great price.

I bought a used one for $250 friday. I told some guy on reverb they are doing black friday sales on new ones for $350 and nobody was gonna buy his. He went for it. Hopefully it gets here today. Also bought a strymon decco and one night in, and that thing will never leave me. (Just buy one guys)Im building a pedal board i can use on the front end and mixing. That have line level etc. ill report back.

Would love to hear how you get on!

Now you got me interested in one to use for the same purposes. I usually perform with a SP 404 and small mixer to control a vocal mic but using a small pedal like the Colour Box seems nice. I also only use a clean MXR preamp on my bass so wouldn’t mind some uh, Colour.

2 Likes

It’s an awesome addition with 404, wish I had it back in the day with the SX. Also put guitar through it, sounds great. It’s on sale now for $359, I wouldn’t think twice at that price. I’m now entertaining a second for stereo.

2 Likes