JoMoX Alpha Base Analog Drum Synthesizer

That’s a tough question. AFAIK the Jomox mojo comes from the very beefy analog circuit design and the extremely minimalist VCA after the sample playback DACs which allows tons of aliasing and DAC grit to shine through… a very audio #nofilter situation. So not sure if running it through the machine would do anything, but I, too, am curious!

2 Likes

just wondering why they shippied it to France first when it should go to the US. Normaly the packages to US are going via Frankfurt. So maybe your unit is still in all good conditions and they just printed the shipping label wrong or something was missing.

I don’t know. They replied and said that I’d have to wait for the package to be returned to them before they’ll do anything. Hopefully that happens by tomorrow and something can get shipped out Monday or Tuesday. I don’t really like that answer, but since I’m going to be away all of next week it doesn’t matter, so I’m going to let it play out. If they don’t have an acceptable answer by this time next week, then I’ll seek recourse.

I just compared passing a sub37 init through Alpha Base vs Mixer. I can’t hear any significant difference. However, if you clip the AB input you can get some interesting results. As you stated, the magic sauce is in the analog design and X-sample is digital. But you can save a recorded sample and assign it to one of the analog sample engine instruments for that magic sauce. Or import a sample from the SD-card if you are out of ibuprofen.

2 Likes

Apparently shipping addresses are hard. Same address that I’ve had for 20+ years and UPS, Fedex, USPS and Amazon have been delivering here hundreds if not collectively thousands of times. :roll_eyes:

the courier was not able to make delivery and your package has been returned to us with the note “Address / recipient unknown”, as the delivery address was supposedly incorrect or incomplete.

My AB arrived last week while I was out of town and I finally got to take a look at it today. Box wasn’t damaged at all and everything looked well and sorted inside. It appears @insect was right, Thommen must have misaddressed or mislabeled it the first time and that’s why it went to France as the 2nd time it went out Frankfurt to the US. Unit was perfect looking out of the box, but was a bit wobbly on the desk (couple of the feet 1mm too high), but loosening the screws on the back allowed it to immediately sit flat, then tightened them back up. Super easy fix. Other than that pretty minor issue the build quality is excellent so far. Feels like a very grown up version of the Xbase 09 and invokes a lot of those memories.

Maybe I’ve watched enough videos at this point… big shout out to @tumulishroomaroom and his amazing video which has been a huge help and inspiration. Between his video and a couple others I’ve hardly looked at the manual so far. I wouldn’t say that the UX is completely ‘intuitive’, but it’s not nearly as weird or quirky as I thought it’d be. Granted, I’m just scratching the surface of it creating pretty (very) basic patterns so far in the first few hours, but things generally seem to make sense once you’ve tried it a couple times.

It sounds… amazing. I’ve been longing to have these kicks for years again in a complete package like this. Again, a very much a grown up and evolved Xbase 09. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and there’s so many other brilliant machines. As of now, I’ve got my dream trio and have nothing to complain about.

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread.

6 Likes

yeah big ups to @tumulishroomaroom for his videos!

Just curious if your maschine also have these lower clicks on the hihat channels? Maybe I record a video to show what I mean.

1 Like

Following the thread and lusting for an AB :slight_smile:
I have a MBase11 since years for most of my kicks. Does anybody here have AB and Mbase11 and can compare the Kick department on these two? The AB does have some parameters more but is the fundamental sound identically?

thx

Share a sound and I’ll try to see if I can hear the same thing. Maybe share the settings for the high hat as well. I can’t say that I’ve noticed anything yet, but I’ve only had three hours or so to play with the machine. Anything I’ve noticed so far has been the result of FX on an instrument.

not 100% sure that we have the same thing in mind but :
my experience is that the VCA envelopes are so fast and deep that they produce sound by themselves. that is part of the jomox sound I believe. that snappiness. sometimes you have to tweak the attack exactly right if you want to get rid of the VCA “pops” while retaining the punch
I am pretty sure i made a nice and pillowy kick one time, just by tweaking that click sound :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Is this getting discontinued or something? I love mine to bits but needed to sell for financial struggles.

It’s been on Craigslist for a month and barely anything. Now in one week I got 3 concrete offers!

1 Like

Haven’t seen any indication or rumor of that and it wasn’t hard for me to find one. I bought recently myself, because (unfortunately) the world is a crazy place right now and with all kinds of shortages, pricing of everything going up and who knows what’s next, I felt motivated to get one now while I could do so. Prices have already gone up within the past year and I figured what I got mine for (less than all of the US based sellers) was likely the best price I was probably going to see for a new one going forward.

Personally, I think these will be sought after for quite some time and will likely be a collector’s item in the future. I never buy gear for profit, I hoard and don’t sell it anyway, but that aspect never hurts should it pan out.

1 Like

so I recorded the hihat channel

it starts with Lowcut and Hicut fully closed using only a sample and resonance at around 100
then opening both filters and turning down resonance
then closing down the filter
and switching filter routing from 001 to 000 at the end

there is clearly a low end thing from the VCA going on

so maybe this is just the way it sounds with the vca clicks. Just wanted to know if someoneelse has similar clickings or is this just very proannounced on my maschine.

Yesterday I spend more time with the alpha. I feel this is instant techno maschine! Yes it has its own sound charakter, which is different from the rytm. It sounds more raw and it can also sound crunchy and dirty and can produce a good amount of bass!

What I really like is using a hihat sample and mtl noise, turning up the resonance of the filter a lot (by around 80 - 100!). Modulating the filter with a “i don´t know exactly what I´m doing but it sounds like a lfo” … play around with filter cutoff and filter env amount … bäng! the hihat sample and noise becomes a bass maschine and snare and much more.

I also really like the reverb. And the best thing about that is: increasing the roomsize over 100 and it gets feedbacked and sounds like tapestyle delay/reverb … grazy!

It´s also fun to performe live on the instrument, turning knobs, feedbacking the reverb etc … but not sure if I ever would bring it for a live concert, because you can easily press wrong buttons combination … for example I pressed accidently the “shutdown” button after accicdently pressing the “shift” button.

1 Like

only seeing this now @insect but I think mine does the same. I never really pay much attention to it since I always cut the lows in the hihats. The filters are super good for this too. In general it’s good practice to filter the snares/cymbals whatever low end because even if you can’t hear it at home, you will on a big soundsystem, or it will mess with your compressor etc…

A couple snippets heavily featuring the AB, with some processing as usual :

2 Likes

and again some more alphabase :

3 Likes

great as always @tumulishroomaroom!

Just want to ask you if you can give some tipps for setting up the bassdrum for a more 909ish harder sound.

I find its easy to get some really good and warm sounding 808ish bassdrums from the alphabase. But I struggle to get some good 909ish harder bassrums from the alpha, that are not sounding to much of “biuu”.

I was a bit in the same boat for a while, my kicks were a bit too boomy and lacking the true mid weight gut punch of a 909. So I worked and compared the sound I had in the AB to 909 (processed) samples I liked; I messed with the enveloppes mostly and the noise/pulse while also shortening the decay. I can’t give specific parameters as I’m away from the Alphabase for the week but remind me and I’ll send you some tips :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@tumulishroomaroom I just watched your Alphabase video again and found the point that I was missing for the 909ish kicks: the 2nd pitch envelope. This is really the key for the 909.

I think thats the one the modbase module doesnt have (or I don´t find because of the menu on the module).

I also asked Jürgen at superbooth about the problem with syncing. That could be a problem with the pattern data. He advised me to clear pattern and maybe load factory patterns into the maschine to clear the pattern data out. Still very strange.

But still sounding very good. I think the analog filters on the alphabase are really good. I just tweaked around with some chords and other samples, turning up the resonance, modulating the filter with lfo … and it was on the way to go into kind of robert hood theritory.

1 Like

Just got mine. Had like one hour of WTF, figured out how to upgrade the firmware (mine was stil 1.07).

It seems like a decent machine…
As said 1000 times here, sound is huge. Reverb is kind of nice I think.
A few annoying things, like parameters being still edited when you change screens, thus overriding the screen info, menu access a bit weird, etc…
Any param controlled via CC will cause the edit matrix row to be selected and displays on the screen, so the screen becomes unreadable…
The mix between noise and samples on the 6 “good” sample tracks is still a Mystery to me.
No trig leds when trigged by MIDI is annoying as well.
That said it seems to respond very well to CCs, meaning I can edit params like ENV Attack on note hits in Ableton Live, which is nice.
It responds also very well to PC messages (better than any machine I’ve owned) :
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8byHbl0r-/

4 Likes