JoMoX Alpha Base Analog Drum Synthesizer

Alphabase … it´s ALL about the sound :wink:

btw: yes the reverb is nice, I like that too.

I asked about the Mac updater at Superbooth, because the updater on the website is for windows user. Mac update works via sd card. (but that worked well for me).

1 Like

Thanks. I had no issue upgrading with the SD card !

1 Like

Initially planned to obtain a Pulsar-23 or Perkons HD-01 this week, but ultimately choose an Alpha Base instead.

9 Likes

Tough call i bet. What made you swing for the Alpha in the end?

1 Like

The decision between the Alpha Base and Perkons was partially due to availability and their lifecycle stage. The Perkons is not available in stores, and I did not want to ship overseas directly from Erica and immediately charged while on a wait list. Furthermore, the Perkons hit the market recently, and I wanted to received more feedback from actual users. The Alpha Base was available at the stores where I usually shop. Although the Alpha Base had a buggy past, recent reports indicate that it is in a good state. That said, I am almost 100% certain I will obtain a Perkons at a later date.

The Pulsar-23 is a great product from afar that I find highly interesting. However, it is uncertain whether I would use often. It is an instrument that I will either love and apply to all my songs, or quickly put aside and save for later. The Alpha Base has a tradition drum machine workflow, which allows me to better predict how it will be applied in my studio. Hopefully, one of my friends will purchase a Pulsar-23 and I can try it out in person :pray:. Another alternative is visiting a Soma vendor while on travel, but that has not materialized.

Overall, after the aforementioned considerations, the Alpha Base was the most feasible decision at this time. It will be paired with a Modor DR-2 or AR MK2, which should make an awesome drum machine combo for Techno and other genres.

3 Likes

Absolutely the right decision. I would go and get one but i cant see a workaround for microtiming and i’d be stuck in techno i fear :frowning:

1 Like

My work around is to use my main sequencer for Alpha Base tracks that require micro-timing adjustments and probability settings. Not my ideal workflow, as I prefer to keep drum machine tracks contain within their own sequencer.

1 Like

‘Stuck in Techno’

Shiver.

1 Like

That problem is solved if you sequence it externally. The one midi channel per track is a very much appreciated standard and with the alphabase it gives you full flexibility for notation, probability and micro timing to name a few

2 Likes

Cheers. Any thoughts on a suitable sequencer?

I use a Cirklon but one can use the OT or similar.

Regarding the OT, even though you are limited to 8 midi tracks, you can isolate say 4 instruments from AB and assign them to Midi channel 1, 2, 3, 4 on the OT. Then set track 5 on OT to midi channel 11 (i think from memory that controls all tracks).

That way you still have 3 left over for sequencing external instruments.

1 Like

Lucas , I’ve been trying to source an Overstayer after watching some of your vids, and they are not avail since some time :cry:

Pretty sold on it - and I have to say the Elysia qubes sound fantastic too

Not a perfect solution, but I plan to dedicate 4 of the 16 tracks from a Pioneer SQUID to the AB. Unless I need the extra MIDI features, the AB parts will be recorded internally. The SQUID has two MIDI Outs, and one will be connected to the AB. The said configuration will prevent the need to reorganizing and reduce my synth and effect MIDI channels.

That said, the SQUID has its own downfalls, such as no song mode, micro-timing adjustments only forward in time, and probability applied to the entire tracks. A Cirklon would solve these problems, but that darn wait list!

2 Likes

Yes im on the wait list too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes the waitlist is very long at the moment… The thread on modwiggler says people have been waiting over a year. A friend of mine just got one second hand here in Paris a couple of weeks ago though, so they might pop up from time to time ! I would highly recommend it of course; My favorite music-related purchase.

The Qubes are great as well, not the same mojo/magic (not as gnarly too) but sound amazing and really really useful. Form factor is great too. “Cheap” when in comes to that kind of hardware.

1 Like

I have been looking at something slightly different to colour the AB… Schippmann Ebbe Flut… is 2x mono though and quite wild with each input going to different filters

The alternative perhaps a Culture Vulture, SSL Bus+… i dunno.

Does the Jomox come preloaded with factory demos for new users? Ie load a kit then load a pattern? Or do you have a quick demo mode pre installed? Cheers.

Yes it does… there are more than 30 or amthg like that, preloded patterns/kits. You can pull up a pattern/kit and use that as your starting point - then when you get something youre proud of, save the state

Is its sequencer capable of polymetric patterns?

Yes. There is a last step assignment per track, which provides polymeters.