Jomox Resonator Neuronium

So, didn’t really know what I was getting into, but wanted to own / try / have this machine for years now.

Well, had the chance to pick one up on the local 2nd hand market and went for it. Would like to open up this thread for me (and you guys) to keep record of my journey.

It’s basically a 6 track sequencer / sound module with a very complex way of sequencing the sounds / cutoff / steps / … But once you get the hang of it, it’s coming all together quite intuitively.

Didn’t dive into the realms of letting the different nodes interact with each other, this will be part of the next weeks to come. I really do like the repetitive style where you just get lost in basically the same loop over and aver again, but it still sound a little bit different every minute. I know this is not everybodys favorite elevetor music :slight_smile:

But for now, here’s the first testrun. Preperation time was under 15 minutes, OT only plays kick, hats and some perc loops. J.R.N. is responsible for all the rest. A little basic EQ’ing / limiting done in ableton. And well, I’m no hollywood-director, so the Vid is what it is :slight_smile:

Enjoy

and on soundcloud

15 Likes

majorly jealous of your new acquisition

2 Likes

it took some time to think about it and at the end, it still was a decision without fully knowing what i was getting into.

Not the best way to buy gear, i know :crazy_face:

But it really ticks all my boxes until now. But then again, let’s see how this works out when honeymoon is over :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sweet … always wanted to know more about this after finding out the Audio Damage plug-in was based on it. Nice work!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You weren’t kidding about the scant videos on youtube! To put it lightly, they’re damn near useless. I’m looking forward to your explorations with this rather rare and unusual piece of gear. The way you describe how you want to use it reminds me of what I do with my recently acquired benjolin box. I just plug it in, twist knobs, and lose an hour in the blink of an eye – even without running through FX. Cheers.

2 Likes

Sounds great, I always enjoy the (few) videos I see of this thing.

The main melody is the OT is sending midi to the the RN?

1 Like

No, OT only sends transport and bpm. All notes and sequences are purely RN. They go back into OT for some filter and delay though.

somehow i skipped over the “6 track sequencer” bit in your post.

very cool!

2 Likes

How are you getting on with this thing, a couple of months later?

Thanks for posting and adding to the small selection of demos available - and I have to say, you already display more control over it than the others! Or rather, I guess you’re not using any of the crazy feedback network features yet… but that answers a question I had: can you control the beast and do anything other than screaming feedback madness? (Because I can listen to David Tudor’s Rainforest over and over again for a lot cheaper than this box!) And it sounds like you can :sunglasses:

So the sounds you were sequencing mainly use the digital GECO waves, and the generative features, sequencing them and the filters? You mentioned it was just the internal sequencers, have you tried actually sending MIDI notes to it?

The next question I have is if it can do drones as well as faster sequences… but I might have to try and get my hands on one and find out!

1 Like

Oh well, 8 weeks ago I had to put it away to make room for homeoffice, since I’m fortunate enough to still have a full time / full paid job and can work from home.

In the Video, the RN was sequenced by the OT, MIDI 1-6 controlling nodes 1-6 and just triggering the sounds.

I played around with the internal sequencers as well and they are somehow “intuitive” once you get used to them and as long as you use them for every single node. But boy, it gets wild, once you start recombining the nodes. It’s definitely recommended to have some sort of limiter between the RN and your monitors :slight_smile:

The thing that makes it so cool, but also so unpredictable is, that every single node consitss of different “values” to create a sound. You have different wave-models (sort of wavetables), then you trigger different parts of the “wavetable” with the “Father-DNA”, then you can set dedicatet triggers for a VCA - Sequencer, on top of that you have a Filter-Sequencer with triggers and another sequencer with Filter-CO - Values. All the sequencers run at different lenghts if you choose to and have different movements available.

So far, so complex.

Once you start recombining different nodes, the thing starts building some sort of children out of Mother-DAN and Father-DNA of the different nodes (generating a new child on every repetition of the 16-step sequencer), in addition you can Add different node-Values and then you have FM between the nodes. THat’s when it gets kind of unpredictable, b/c you may hit a recombination where every VCA is fully open, every VCF has a trigger and CO is wide open and on top, two high pitched sounds are added. It’s still kind of playable, but due to the generative nature of recombining 64 Byet-Strings every 16 Steps, it’s not really reproducable :slight_smile:

And yes, you can do plucks, drones, stabs,… It’s just not as precise as a regular synth when you try to realize an idea.

I hope that in 2 weeks from now, i can put away my work stuff from my desk and can start building up my music gear again. Really looking forward to hooking up the thing again… I’m planning on doing some stuff on the RN again and then also trying out the generative side of it…

Wow, this got longer than expected :smiley:

I really enjoy the music in your video thanks for sharing.