Jonsi Sigur Ros VSS-30

Hello! Does anyone have any tips on how to sample vocals and mess with them in a similar fashion to how jónsi did with the VSS-30?

I’m looking to do a similar thing for a cover and wondering if it’s possible with my Digitakt :smile:

I know my Digitakt pretty well but I don’t know what you mean. Do you have a reference track?

To lower the fidelity would I just resample a couple times a root C? Mess with attack and decay like shown here and add reverb + delay? Trying to emulate this lofi pad sound that this guy makes here!

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d sample C and you’d need to use a bunch of tracks since they’re all mono. You also would probably have to do the u turn loop thing with parameter locks since there’s only forward and reverse loop.

1 Like

A big part of the VSS-30 sound is the bit depth and the sample rate. You can use the BRR for the bit depth, and you can pitch up and resample a few times to get pseudo-sample rate reduction. It’s also pretty noisy, so you could resample with some noise sample thrown in too.
I think the DT is still too hifi to do this really convincingly, but you can get close.

Lol, c’mon guys.

About 6 years back I got a mint boxed VSS-200 at a carboot sale for £4, a week later at a different carboot sale I got a VSS-30 for £3, I could of got them both cheaper as on both occasions I didn’t bother haggling lol, I’ve still got them.

Im at work at the moment however look forward to watching this YouTube video, and sample those two VSS’s into my Digitakt.