Kids

I got my son a cheap Casio keyboard to try and keep him out of the studio. He snubbed it immediately and claimed the minilogue instead!

11 Likes
8 Likes

My son (8) comes up with fantastic Volca FM patches, I quite often have to reach over and save the patch real quick and then let him get back to it.

He really loved the OP-1, although mostly he liked repitching samples. Thereā€™s something about that that kids seem to find amazing/hilarious, when the sample involves a voice at least. I sold that to fund a Peak, no regrets but he wasnā€™t happy about it.

Most current fun thing for both him and my daughter is chromatic mode on the Rytm. They like the colours as well as the sounds.

I did decide to get him his own battery powered keyboard for his birthday so that it can live in the kidsā€™ room and always be visible and available to be turned on and played. Yamaha PSS-A50. Itā€™s been quite successful. It has velocity sensitivity, an arpeggiator, drum sounds (for which the arpeggiator creates rhythms) and basic recording functionality. Same keybed as the Refaces apparently. Would recommend.

4 Likes

No song mode?

2 Likes

No. Also - but thankfully - no demo mode. Which means they actually have to make the music themselves. Demo modes on kids keyboards are a curse.

3 Likes

Yep, I remember driving my entire family, including myself demented with the melody demo on my Casio VL Tone circa 1980. Not the Da Da Da drum beat, I loved that, the little ditty tune! TORTURE!!!

1 Like

ARGHHHHGG!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s horrible! Couldnā€™t even listen to the whole videoā€¦

1 Like

@Chinchilla I think I had one of these before! :wink:

1 Like

PT-20 is where it all started for me.

Got a sudden flood of nostalgia from that beige carry pouch, I had forgotten about that.

2 Likes

A kid or a Casio VL?

1 Like

Gotta sample that snare! :smiley:

1 Like

All the age of 7 my son demanded his first set of pads - way, way bigger and more durable than any Iā€™ve ever had - and heavy duty sticks, but not much variation to the percussive sounds he got out of them mind you. Then two years later, bigger and tougher ones - sounded pretty much the same though. This happened cca every two years until finally his manager provided him with some! It seriously messed up my gear purchasing plans.

4 Likes

Im so glad this wasnt a thread about the movie Kids.

He was jamming out on a As1 last night along with the OT, but I was too proud, and nervious to take a photo.

8 Likes

I very much hope you ddnā€™t share that big spliff in your hand with your offspring!

1 Like

Now wait a secondā€¦thatā€™s his hand.

1 Like

Heā€™s either got the longest arms of any kid that age, or your making terrible excuses. I suspect the latter.

Well I mean he is in the ninety percentile for kids his age.

Great picture there. :+1: Yes, look into Suzuki, Kodaly, Orff ways of learning music and pick one or a combination you feel most suitable. The ability to realize melody, harmony, and rhythm during childhood is not to be underestimated!

3 Likes

A Casio VL

2 Likes