King Crimson documentary

Here’s one I’m looking forward to:

20 Likes

Sounds like they’ve been Fripped off, ehhehe… Can’t wait to see this! There has been lots of v cool previously unreleased stuff on Brufords YT channel lately.

4 Likes

Yep, really looking forward to it as well! King Crimson is one of my all-time fave bands and it feels like I know so little about them (compared to, say, Pink Floyd).

5 Likes

One of my influencers, so hoping to see this!

IMDb categorizes it in the horror genre, among others.

3 Likes

LOL, looking forward to a king crimson slasher flick.

1 Like

I was fortunate to see this a while back as Toby the director is a friend of mine, and I must say what a thoroughly enjoyable film this is. I’ve been a fan since I was a teenager and didn’t disappoint at all. i was even interviewed after one of the shows but never quite made the cut, which is a relief as I just rambled on about how great they were :grinning:

17 Likes

RIP Ian McDonald.

5 Likes

Bill Bruford’s book has some nice Crimson and Fripp stories. Fripp used to make Bruford’s children cry when he visited, lol, it’s pretty funny.

2 Likes

To me Robert Fripp is a mystic, godlike figure. For years I was reading that he played his parts at the side of the stage, maybe even behind the curtain.

That was until covid-era Robert Fripp turned up on Youtube doing crazy cover versions with his wife Toyah. :rofl:

Will have to find a copy of Bruford’s book at some point! Thanks for the recommendation, @psychetropic!

3 Likes

Looking forward to this one!

My dad played lots of Crimson in my childhood and youth. I remember being twelve on a car trip, listening to Discipline, when the poly meter thing suddenly clicked in my brain. Seminal music moment, haha.

15 years later I went to Copenhagen with my father to see the band. Great show! After the show we walked from the venue at Amager over to Nyhavn to grab a beer. And who was simply standing on the sidewalk outside a pub, as if waiting for us? Adrian Belew! He was up for a chat. :smiley:

7 Likes

Waiting Man … of course

This is where i came in, never bettered (this incarnation/supergroup) … recommended viewing on late night in concert (bbc) by my art teacher at school circa 82/83 as he knew i was a guitarist … seminal moment

2 Likes

Haha, exactly.

1 Like

I once ran into him in a small area outside the bathroom door at a bar they were playing. About 5 people suddenly crowded around him, and he reacted rather shyly, then people sensibly backed off of their own accord because it was a little weird. There’s a 1 in 4 chance that I peed at the same urinal as Adrian Belew, by the way.

4 Likes

I’m not very familiar with King Crimson’s history but is this yet another documentary about how 5 people can be dicks to each others while playing music, like the Eagles one?

More like two dozen dicks, of which Scarlett Johansson is not one.

1 Like

Reminds me of the song Scarlett and Bible Black. One of my favourites. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes please! One of the best bands ever.

Nah. King Crimson is more like a musical project or a collective with one constant member, Robert Fripp. He’s been known to be a bit of a dick I guess, or has been a bit of a dick like 40 years ago, but mostly a visionary who’s had dozens of musicians join King Crimson. Sometimes for a single album, sometimes for a decade or two.

1 Like

Reading this thread i suddenly remembered that i had a short chat with most members of the band during Thrak. We waited outside at the back entrance a few hours before the gig and there they were. They were in a good mood and we had some laughs. And still this reminder of that short meeting.

You do crazy things when you’re young :slight_smile:

5 Likes