Kodamo EssenceFM

Some nice deep dive explanations about the EFM:

And this demo by Kodamo made me order one:

5 Likes

You have just ordered one pulsn? :smiley:

Not my usual style by any stretch, but hereā€™s another EFM/OT jam

5 Likes

am gassing for one of these now but have no FM synth knowledge! Do you guys think this is a good synth to learn FM with or will I be hopelessly lost?

As long as you are willing to experiment and learn for years to come then I think this is a great FM synth to invest in. The touch interface makes it easy to edit and the synth is incredibly powerful. The presets are not that exciting but it sounds like youā€™re willing to make your own. It is really a sound designer tool.
If you donā€™t have the Digitone then I would probably recommend that one first. It is easier to get some immediate results with and itā€™s a great and fun FM synth overall.

1 Like

It strikes me as a very user friendly synth, honestly. You donā€™t have to go deep to get a lot of love out of this machine, but when youā€™re ready, thereā€™s a lot to it. I love the idea that I wonā€™t get burned out on an overly simplistic system, personally.

1 Like

Oh, I didnā€™t mean that itā€™s very hard to make sounds on, just that it will take time to master like any FM synth. I made a lot of sounds when I got it and I have returned to many of them later and refined them.

For sure, FM is itā€™s own thing! A few total beginner things can be easily done without knowing anything about FM though.

Stack a bunch of presets on one patch. Pan a couple, etcā€¦

Open any preset and poke around. Change the waveform, play with the voice sequencer, assign an LFO to the filter (or any number of things!), etc. Lots to do while youā€™re learning about FM.

I tend to treat it more like a 90ā€™s style workstation

3 Likes

I am weak, won a bid on a MK1 :joy:

6 Likes

Iā€™m about to pull the trigger on one (I think) what are you all using to sequence it? Elektron gear? Something else?

Iā€™ve use a Pyramid, various :3lektron: gear, the Linnstrumentā€™s step sequencer, and the internal voice sequencer. Anything in particular you would like to know?

1 Like

I guess not, not right now, just excited (just bought one 2nd hand) and was just curious in general.

I donā€™t own any of those things except some elektron gear, was thinking of starting out sequencing it using a track of my A4.

2 Likes

I totally get the excitement! Such a wonderful box to play with!

The A4 will work great. Mine is often not only the closest sequencer, but also the closest keyboard with those mini chicklets on there. Great for testing out sounds while tweaking away.

Edit: donā€™t forget you can send midi on the FX and CV tracks too, so you donā€™t have to give up a synth track to sequence external gear.

2 Likes

I use mainly Octatrack and Digitone.
I think the perfect sequencer is on the way but itā€™ll take some time still until itā€™s done. Itā€™s the Oxi One sequencer which is a fundraiser project.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Canā€™t wait. Thanks!

Same here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Received the Mk1 yesterday now to learn FM on this thing >.<

4 Likes

I have my mkii now. It isā€¦a little overwhelming! I think I need to start with some basics. Iā€™m very interested/intrigued about the drum possibilities. I imagine whole kits can be made, given the whole stacking ethos.

EDIT: Iā€™m going to start out, actually, trying to figure out these gems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPa6VLi4GQ (and the rest of the series)

5 Likes

Kodamo EFM is by far my favourite experience Iā€™ve had with FM synthesis, itā€™s just so easy to play around with / experiment with, Iā€™ve mainly been focusing on single layer patches so far but itā€™s amazing how much you can get from just that.

Hereā€™s a track I made recently with the EFM as the only source of sound other than a few atmospheric samples. I processed each output differently through analog hardware (nothing too fancy as I have a modest studio)

14 Likes

Lovely track and that melody synth sounds sweet!

1 Like