Kodamo EssenceFM

Yes, hard to tell since it’s a second hand machine but don’t worry, They’ll take care of it, customer service is on point. Thanks for the inspiring patches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loving these patches!

1 Like

It’s really powerful.

By the way, Cirklon + EFM would be such a crazy setup and there is a used one here in Germany…

1 Like

Also Check the forthcoming Oxi One Sequencer which I think will be perfect for the EFM.
So you have to send your unit back? Was it all new?

2 Likes

They’ll check the backup file first and if there is nothing wrong with it, yes, they will repair it. And it wasn’t new, I bought a used one for €900 but I guess it was a mistake.

Thanks for the recommendation but somehow I don’t like the look of it.

1 Like

I feel like I’ve been on the waiting list for a Cirklon since the mid 1920’s at this point :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure I’ll try an Oxi One if/when they become available

2 Likes

I’m sure the Cirklon is amazing. But, like, thousands of dollars? If it’s a bucket list thing for you, then awesome. But if you just want to explore the EFM, a keystep will do it. Or the incredibly capable Pyramid or SQUID. Or any Elektron box.

1 Like

Right now, I mostly sequence my EFM with my Octatrack and it works well. I’d still like a different master sequencer. Been on the fence about the Pyramid and don’t totally know why. Never tried one. Looks fairly comprehensive but not very intuitive or fun

Does This device have midi learn?

Yeah. It’s not intuitive in that it doesn’t work like many other sequencers out there. But it’s very self-consistent and definitely knows what it’s about. So once you get over the hump, it’s pretty rewarding. Like a lot of stuff, I guess.

Personally, I’ll always prefer an integrated sequencer-and-sound-machine. Elektron it right up my alley in that respect. But some things I love just don’t come that way, like the EFM. And the Pyramid is pretty great at 1: filling the sequencing gap and 2: being (comparatively) affordable.

Also, it’s Euclidean patterns, poly meter/polyrhythms implementation, and song mode are top-of-the-class IMHO. So it helps me break out of some creative boxes in a pinch.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you’re right. €2200 is too much for a sequencer, even though it seems really powerful. The other alternative is using multiple simple sequencers. Somehow I like sequencing the sequencers :slight_smile: For example I just bought a midi-to-cv interface to convert midi messages from OT into CV and send them to the Ornament which is my sequencer for the Pulsar. Then OT is sequencing the EFM as well, but that would be much better and fun if I could also get another sequencer. Thanks to @Soarer I’ve been eyeing the Torso T1 as well.

2 Likes

You got to keep in mind that the Cirklon is a pretty niche machine, this thing is the ultimate central brain of your setup if you’re working with a lot of hardware, Colin is updating the thing on a regular basis since 2010, now the V2 is even more powerful, you got breakout box for drum machines and modular synths and the hardware is built like a tank. Of course if you’re using one or two pieces of gear it might be a bit overkill :slight_smile:

Yeah, probably overkill as I don’t like having more than 3 synths at the same time.

I think the Oxi One looks great and you can do so much with all those buttons (check some of the videos). It has 32 or 64 tracks and does Euclidean rhythms too, has CV ins and outs, chord modes so I think this will be excellent. You can easily put it in your bag along with other gear.

I don’t know the Cirklon - does it do that much more? The screen is probably helpful if you want that but it is huge and looks heavy.

2 Likes

why not a nersqeq + midi extension to drive the EFM ? I
think it will be a great combo

2 Likes

I sequence it from a couple different sources (keystep pro and digitone, & Torso T1). If you don’t have a primary sequencer that you use currently, I’d recommend something with at least 8 tracks and preferably 16 or more to take advantage of the multi and high polyphony to the fullest. In the non eurorack midi realm, the Pyramid, Octatrack mk1, & Squid seem to cover that in the Sub $800 range of devices that are available right now, with the pyramid being more feature packed and the squid having some more hands on/standard options (have not owned either). Octatrack is older but as many can attest still works great as a midi sequencer and to feed things back in for sample mangling. I have a blackbox but don’t really use it as a midi sequencer but it could handle those duties as well with pretty basic sequencing options.

The T1 is fantastic with it just with a little bit different workflow but it gets wild with all of the randomization you can get per function. They are just kind of scarce right now. Likewise the Oxi isn’t available yet.

1 Like

And the digitakt of course would be a solid pairing for sequencing it.

Hmm…the midi extension is not like a typical cv-to-midi, right? I hope that It can transmit the velocity as well.

it can transmit velocity, CC, Channel aftertouch, polyphonic aftertouch, mod pitchbend, and NRPN

1 Like

I made some harder beats on the EFM using the voice sequencer.
One note Techno :smile:

2 Likes