Kodamo EssenceFM

Hi, I’m there, posted this as well. Same thing just now. I simply edit a Patch, Save As to my custom Category, and then go back to my Performance, click on a voice, click on my Category, and nothing.
“And make sure to distinguish between Voice and Patch lists”, care to elaborate?
If I edit in the Voice list, “save as”.
do I then have to create a Patch, save that, then save as again to my category, then save again in my Performance??

So if I’m in a Performance, and I click on a Patch to edit, end up in the Voice section, continue editing, save, save as, things still are not showing in my Category after clicking back to my Performance.
I’m missing something. And the manual isn’t clear on the Saving folder hierarchy, after making edits.

Just in case you didn’t know: you could have saved a voice and then tried to find it in the patch section but I guess you know that. And just to make sure: only patches can be loaded in Performance, NOT single voices. Assigning a category has no effect here other than maybe adding to the confusion so maybe leave it out for now.

I think you should contact Kodamo by email since it sounds like a weird issue/bug.

Possibly, doesn’t seem like anyone else has a problem saving whole banks.

I just don’t get the saving/save as flow. It definitely saves my preset. somewhere. as mentioned, to random locales.
yes to the recent firmware.
Still to be clear, what’s your workflow? I know you’ve created a whole bank to share. I’m missing something obvious.
And never had this issue with my other synths with a gazillion presets.

Start with a voice, create patch, save as to an empty bank. load in performance?

Load empty performance, click on the init voice, edit said voice, "save as- “snare” to an empty slot, now all my inits are snares. arg.

I usually make a voice preset, save it by hitting save twice. Open it in a patch, save it. Load it into a performance slot if I want to use it there. Quite simple. Of course with a complex synth like this with unusual deep features you have to do things a little differently.

1 Like

Ahhh… so, you usually:
1- start from the Voice section
2- Create Patch from said Voice and save to a bank?
4- then load if needed.

I’ll try that approach. Thanks again for the tips. This synth is amazing !

1 Like

AFAIR this shouldn’t happen.

1 Like

You can do all the work directly in Performance mode if that feels more comfortable for you. Simply press on a part, select a patch (an empty one). From there you can add new voices to it and edit the voices.
I’m not 100% sure but from what you wrote, I think you created Voices and expected to use them directly in a performance, but no they have to be put inside a Patch before. Since Patches and Voices use the same category system, it may be confusing in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soarer; Love your sounds! I Wonder about the dub stab, how do you get the right chord-ish sound? I haven’t used My machine enough, sorry, so thanks for any hints!

1 Like

Glad to hear it mbang :grinning:
Not quite sure what you mean. I’m playing a minor chord. Or are you referring to the sound itself?

Yeah, just wondering what you did to make it sound so nice… but part of the stuff is to figure it out yourself. I got a nice sound now, but the magic is working the filters together with the echo and such imo adnd i´ve got a but left there… But soon… :slight_smile:
Did you put much work in filtering, and if so, any hints? I think i´ve heard that a two-filter combo is good, or bandpass… dont really remember, but i will try to figure it out. Got a good basic sound now and i have surreal machines plugins to help me with getting the delays all right and such… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Found a nice deal on an EssenceFM Mk1.

The owner says that the only difference between Mk1 and Mk2 are a lower output volume on the Mk1 and the standing support brackets. Kodamo website’s also lists less voices on the Mk1, but that’s not an issue for me.

Apart from CO5MA’s videos on YouTube I wasn’t impressed with the sound. But the UI is very good, I love the form factor and the 16-part multitimbrality means I could have a nice little setup just with the EssenceFM and a good sequencer. And I really love the fact that you can disable the anti-aliasing!

So, to all the EFM owners: are you still in love with yours?

2 Likes

Still love mine a lot. I’ve done a lot of finished tracks with just the EFM and a sequencer. The drums are terrific and it’s so fun to program

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the output differences, but yeah. Outside of that I think the only difference is that the front plate of the mkII is slightly thicker and doesn’t have the integrated-rack-ears design of the mkI. And its body is deeper and canted. It makes it look a little more at home as a desktop synth.

Also note that “less voices” in this case is referring to presets. They both still have 300 voice multitimrality.

As to my love, absolutely. I still feel it’s the best FM synth out there. When using the my DN or M8, I’m always having to think of clever ways to mash the patch idea I have down to match their capabilities. With the EFM it’s like I can use the hand that was tied behind my back. Of all the FM gear I’ve owned (and it’s been a fair bit) really only the preen stuff comes close when it comes to raw possibilities. And interface-, hardware-, modulation-, I/O-, and MIDI-wise (MPE!), the EFM is still far above.

Also, it’s weird, but I just like its sound. Like just a single sine wave through the amp env. I’ve been using it a pseudo-additive synth lately and been enjoying the heck out of it.

My very small wishlist currently only includes:

• Formant-shaping (I’m honestly not sure how much I would use it in patches, but it would kill FS1R envy)

• A built-in oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer.

The spectrum analyzer in particular is nice for planning and building FM patches with lots of ops. This is actually one thing I really like from the opsix.

On the other hand, where would you put it? There’s that big screen, of course, but I’m using that to build the patch and ideally I’d want to see both at the same time. So I’ll have to make do patching one into my signal chain when I need it.

2 Likes

Good news! The formant side of the FS1r is useless without software that Yamaha never released. The synth itself is only slightly programmable from the front panel. To unlock all the parameters you need a software editor. The FS1r was easily the most disappointing synth I ever owned.

3 Likes

Is there unison on the Essence Fm or a way to stack voices?
Thanks!

I wonder if they’ll ever make the keyboard one…

Not sure. Essence is the only product that shows up on the website these days.

1 Like

U guys think EssenceFm would be good for Dune soundtrack type of sounds?

The Infini keyboard will probably be the next product from Kodamo, maybe early 2023.

1 Like

I hope Kodamo sticks around. Still love my EssenceFM and look forward to whatever else they’ll come up with

2 Likes