Korg ARP 2600 Reissue

Not being too familiar with the 2600, other than watching Reverb’s excellent documentary, I only just noticed today that it comes with built-in speakers. The more golden-eared among us may find some fault with the sound quality but the direct out vs. mic on speaker comparison at the end of the Sweetwater video surprised me.

This thing comes with a built-in mini PA and a road case with casters. The video again for convenience - skip to about 11 min. for the direct out vs. speaker:

2 Likes

To me they sound good enough. Granted, I’m sure Fisher used high end mics that each cost more than most Elektron products

1 Like

At 45lbs it’s not super light but I’d love to get one and bring it to a yoga studio to play one of those ambient gigs. Or at an art gallery or other small performance space, just using its internal speakers.

2 Likes

Would you or someone else know if the CV jacks are 1 V/octave, if say I wanted to CV sequence an oscillator or something from my Korg SQ-1?

Hands up anyone can spot the Arp 2600 in the first electronic concert to be done in China. Jarre has endorsed the new Arp 2600 saying hes first on the list.

If you’re talking the reissue – this spec says yes.

Didn’t someone earlier say the original used a different voltage range.

1 Like

no the original was 1 vt/oct as well. the gate needs to be pretty high though (+10 volts). maybe that’s what you’re thinking of.

basically anything on it can be sequenced via cv from the sq-1. however, if you want the gate to trigger both env’s, you need to scale the gate via the voltage processor first. sequencers such as the Doepfer Dark Time will do this directly though; there’s an internal jumper to change the gate level.

3 Likes

No longer available at Thomann :upside_down_face: what a best

Watching this walkthrough to educate myself some more - granted this is a vintage unit, not the KARP but should be applicable enough

the accompanying article - worth a bump…

2 Likes

The original ARP manual is one of the best resources on the 2600 and synthesis in general (and anything that applies to the original will apply in exactly the same way to the repro. Even the old patch sheets will work. Korg’s new version is that close.)

6 Likes

No doubt the manual is great but I’m enjoying the video nonetheless

1 Like

Me too. :grinning:

Lots of videos have been shared on Elektronauts of “fat” and “warm” synth tones, but man that 2600 sounds freaking massive.

I still feel those others synths do sound “fat”, do sound “ballsy” and so on but damn this thing is on another level

3 Likes

yeah, it’s a shame they are sold out, i was really thinking to get one of this …

2 Likes

Well it looks like there will be a mini verison …

And who knows, they just released fullsize/non kit MS20

2 Likes

I guess it would be cute to have a mini version even though I wanted the FS, my Odyssey module is 86% or something and it feels awesome, wouldn’t want it to be larger. A Mini 2600 would look pretty awesome sitting next to it… I saw the shocking price for the MS-20 FS though, US $1,400, so I guess the Arp will be wicked expensive still. I thought for sure the MS FS wouldn’t be more than $1,000. I think I only paid about $500 for my Odyssey module, and it’s quite large and made 100% from steel, three filter revisions, juicy architecture, so I’m not sure why the MS FS costs so much money…

1 Like

86% size would be great, but i will probably spend the money in the meantime :blush:

are you referring to this? http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/01/14/korg-intros-four-ms-20-fs-synthesizers/

no price quoted there, where did you see one?

those look great. I like the color options. including a “khaki” one which kind of looks like a vintage MS20 that’s faded naturally over time. cool! price-wise…yeah maybe a little high considering you can get a vintage one for that. it’s awesome they’re not limited and are in full production though (sounds like). I’m just sad they didn’t include the cool suitcase it originally came in.

but drifting OT, I guess…

1 Like

I saw the price listed on Musicians Friend for preorder, and actually it states on Korg’s site, in the official statement, and on every blog that this is a limited release product.

1 Like

Very nice! A re-run of the MS-20M would be even better. Whatever colour…

1 Like