Korg ARP 2600 Reissue

I agree 100%, that is what I want and very much regret not pulling trigger on .

2 Likes

d’oh! you’re right. even in the link I included it says “limited.” reading comprehension… how does it work? :crazy_face:

and actually I saw some MS20m kits going for over $2k (built) so maybe in that light $1400 for a FS (factory built) isn’t too bad! crazy.

1 Like

Didn’t they omit the ability to address the second oscillator independently in the module version? I seem to remember that being the reason I wasn’t interested.

Hmmm, you could be right ; if so, not good.

Yeah very not good, especially after spending the weekend doing exactly that with two SQ-1s addressing both oscillators of my Odyssey independently with the oscillators synced, you get that massive sync rip that totally rules and you can dial in the way it happens in a PRECISE way with the second SQ-1, using the slides and everything lets you get exactly what you want.

P.S. Does everyone with an Odyssey know that the pedal input around back is used to address the second oscillator independently? It’s even listed in the manual as the official method and shown with an SQ-1. You’ve got to turn up the Pedal/SH slider in oscillator 2 mod section and it works flawlessly.

3 Likes

MS-20M eh … cough cough … >

Yes - they’re awesome but sadly I need the £££…

Yes with some of the improvements of the ms20-m you unfortunately can no longer do the paraphonic patch. But what you gain for that is more than worth it!

1 Like

:smile:

6 Likes

Confirmed that the arp / sequencer doesn’t sync to midi clock. Seems to be a major oversight :confused:

Yes, the basic-only MIDI implementation was mentioned in Scot Solida’s review posted earlier. Reposting for convenience:

If you need a synth that will receive 20 MIDI CC messages at once, multiple MIDI channels, MIDI Program Change, etc. this is not the synth for you.

2 Likes

Reminds me of every time a fully analog synth gets announced and you see comments saying “Can’t be CC controlled?!? HUGE MISTAKE!” :joy:

4 Likes

No user samples??? No song mode???

6 Likes

Next you’re gonna tell me this thing only samples in USELESS mono. Massive oversight.

3 Likes

No Overbridge !?!?

4 Likes

Midi CCs are not required, just an arp that syncs to midi clock. It’s pretty simple.

Every synth should have a song mode these days. Because its a simple bit of programming and is very useful on the fly.

1 Like

Read Scot’s review on Music Radar, which already mentions that. You might find other information there to “confirm”.

1 Like

I could be wrong… but their new 3620 keyboard has a “ext vibrato in” which I think would be a pulse for the LFO speed. assuming this is correct and that the arpeggiator is tied to the LFO speed, you can indeed sync the arp to an external clock.

maybe @Scot_Solida could confirm?

1 Like

EDIT: After a post below from @leighzi88 suggesting something different than what I initially posted, I just tested the EXT In on my old MkIII and it actually does not control the LFO rate.

Also, it should be noted that the arp/seq does not transmit anything over MIDI. Not even note-on/off (the keyboard itself transmits only the basic not on/off/pitch, as @GovernorSilver points out)

3 Likes

thanks @Scot_Solida!

yeah there’s two sides to this: “it’s a $4k instrument! it should sync to midi clock!” and “you can afford a $4k instrument, you can also afford a midi/cv converter…” :rofl:

anyway, the plus side is that it’s flexible enough to do this. and that they added just enough to the 3620 to make it more interesting and useful in a modern studio setup or on stage. a bit of a holdover to not fully making the 1601 sequencer, in a way.

2 Likes