Korg ARP 2600 Reissue

Syntaur has five for sale, and says there are 400. I don’t know if that’s just 400 for the US or worldwide.

1 Like

I think Tom KMR has ten coming.

You get get a very nice modular rig for that price, especially if you research the best Doepfer, Ladik etc modules. It would be way more versatile and could sound amazing, but it won’t sound like a 2600 if that’s what you really want to hear. Would I trade a well designed $4k eurorack rig for a Korg 2600? Personally, no. Would I love to have a 2600? Absolutely

3 Likes

Pre-order now, for shipping by mid-April. There are only 400 of these units being made in a one-time-only production run; they will sell out quickly.

*** UPDATE: We are completely sold out of the 2600’s. Sorry, there will be no more of these available.

Sure, as guitar pedal dork, I I find thru hole repairs easier. Different skills

I’ve been avoiding MusicRadar after reading a succession of poorly-researched and just plain sloppily written, fluffy articles, but I have to say this is the first well-written review/article I’ve read there in a long time.

Nicely done!

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s actually a bit whittled-down from the print version.

1 Like

To buy in modular what the 2600 offers on its own…would be WAY more.

They are sold out ? they were hardly announced! Thomann has non in the shop , that’s just ridiculous

I’ll don my flameproof suit for this one so here goes…

I’m not sure I can see beyond the pure greed of korg on this one. It looks like the definition of the elitist synth, given the limited run and price. Seems just from the comments here that those with connections seem to have bagged them all; there was a comment earlier in the thread that at one outlet their allocation had gone before they started taking pre orders…

The TTSH is a diy based project run by a small team so I can accept that they are expensive. It’s clearly been a labour of love to get the project off the ground, to support it etc. Those guys won’t be able to get pcbs printed and front panels fabbed for the same money as korg can so that’s reflected in the price. They’ll supply you a tested and calibrated instrument for the same money as the Karp. But tellingly they can supply pcbs and panel for $499… which begs the question how on earth are korg coming to a price of $3500? We’re not talking boutique manufacturer here… korg could stamp out as many of these as they want once they’ve geared up for production. I don’t buy the comparable with Moog etc argument on price. Moog again are a much smaller company with higher overheads (made in USA etc). I’m sorry but to me this just smacks of greed on their part, in the same way as the full sized MS20 was wildly overpriced compared to their mini.

Rant over.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s due to employment costs , marketing and shipping , manfufacturing cost etc. I think it’s a fair price for what they are offering with a high build quality. A ttsh made by a pro builder isn’t a big leap in price either

1 Like

I can’t see how that could be the case tho? They will be machine populated with SMD parts for the main part with some hands on afterwards. A pro builder doing a diy project is bound to take more time (and cost more) for a hand built thru hole build. If it really cost korg that sort of money to build their instruments how can they sell their other instruments for the price they do? They’re all made the same way with a mix of machine and human assembly. Granted I’m not a production engineer but I’m struggling to see how they can justify that price tag beyond the fact that they know folks will pay it. To me that’s the definition of a rip off.

That makes perfect sense, but keep in mind TTSH is just parts with no labor, distribution, whole sale price, shipping cost and paying for the whole development ect.

I bought a prebuild TTSH for $3000 it didnt even have a nice transport case, keyboard or flight case.

Edit. I wonder how you know how Korg produces the 2600s, you seem to be taking a lot of things for granted. Would you use same arguments when discussing the price of a car?

1 Like

Also bear in mind they own the IP. You are also paying for the idea. The price is fair for everything going into it. Think of the salaries they pay developing these products.

Yep I see your point, the TTSH comparison was on the pcbs and panel specifically as the TTSH guys have had to do that development themselves and that’s surely factored into the price they charge for the bare bones kit. They’ll have to go to a third party PCB fab company and get runs of boards produced. Point being Korg can do that sort of thing for a lot less than The TTSH guys can I’m pretty sure. They’ve clearly got full time development teams dedicated to their analogue stuff so wouldn’t the 2600 just be another project to them? Especially as they’ve already done all the dev work on the Odyssey which is closely related. Even if they’re only making a small profit on each 2600 (which I can’t see) surely it makes business sense to sell more units to recoup those development costs and maximise those narrow profit margins rather than invest all that time and money for a limited run? Korg must be sourcing components for less than the TTSH guys so there are savings there too. It’s economies of scale.

Ps not trying to flame anyone here! We will all have our opinions on value and worth and I can see why folks would sell a vital organ for a 21st century brand new 2600… if the price was lower and the run wasn’t limited I’d snap one up myself.

Nope I don’t know and I am assuming as I don’t work for Korg. I like the rest of us can only compare this with their other products who’s profit margins must also pay for management, salaries development costs etc.

Who am I trolling? Korg? Have I criticised anyone here personally for buying one? Forums are for debate after all and I’m not the only one wondering how they can justify the price tag.

Oh my lore is that an EMS in the middle ?

1 Like

that’s just panel and pcb. zero parts. no sliders, caps, resistors, nothing. and LOTS of time goes into assembling those. they regularly sell assembled for over $3k on their own (with a case, which usually isn’t as nice as the authentic/Korg ones). and the KARP flight cases on their own were probably the better part of a grand. this is all before we even consider the KARP keyboard…

I wouldn’t say they’re a deal. but absolutely worth what they’re asking. they’re not making a killing on these. likely it’s a huge marketing/press move to get people riled up for the scaled down version.

4 Likes

So buying a 4000US make noise system is not comparable? I’m not into modular either just curious.